definitions of terrorism

I guess the urban definition for terrorism is either:

A) A muslim [This mainly in the west]
B) A person that uses fear to demoralise a certain group of people or the entire human population
C) Anybody that isnt white [Mainly fascists for this one]

There is no agreed definition on it, however.

Exactly what are the definitions of international and domestic terrorism?
aha~~~~ exactly

I was wondering what all the suspicion by security guards and such about people who are obviously East Asian until I watched episodes of The Unit where Indonesian terrorists were played by actors who were a bit too fair skinned to be the regular Indonesian Muslims. Yeah you can have maybe one guy with very fair skin in a group of thirty but the odds are actually even less than that and the odds of an all fair skinned group of Indonesian Muslims coming your way on the back of a truck is practically nil.
Nice going Hollywood.

A 2003 study by Jeffrey Record for the US Army quoted a source (Schmid and Jongman 1988) that counted 109 definitions of terrorism that covered a total of 22 different definitional elements.

Make your choice.

The T-word is just that, a mix of undefined ideas, and overused from my POV... (guess which of the 109 is the one I believe to be correct?)

If nothing helps, Wikipedia at least knows why this is so:

Terrorism expert Walter Laqueur also has counted over 100 definitions and concludes that the 'only general characteristic generally agreed upon is that terrorism involves violence and the threat of violence.' Yet terrorism is hardly the only enterprise involving violence and the threat of violence. So does war, coercive diplomacy, and bar room brawls.

I go with this one of Alex P. Schmid:

Act of Terrorism = Peacetime Equivalent of War Crime

Not a definition, but clear enough for me to differentiate from other stuff (like the above mentioned bar room brawl, e.g., or pirates).

Rattler

Rattler, just to clarify, peacetime from whose perspective?

I agree with you that the definitions of terrorism are loose and vague, they are not helped by the media who sling the word around like a sailor with money on a run ashore.

To me terrorists are criminals pure and simple, although they cloak their objectives in "supposedly" lofty goals to dignify their actions, but they still commit criminal acts & should be treated as such and be prosecuted under the law of whichever land they are in.

I wonder if perhaps a terrorist is defined by the government agencies used to bring them to justice, such as intelligence and special forces, rather than police?

'ism' at the end of the word makes this a noun that is representing an idea. 'terror' is fear. Since the French revolution the word terrorism has meant the use of fear as a weapon to gain compliance of another party, usually for political purposes.

I would like to say terroristic act among the people of the world is truely wrong every country has at least someone that is called a terrorist so lets live by the way this world is ruinned by the people that make commits about everyone else.

Yeah but that's such a broad based term.
It would make school bullies classified as "terrorists."
Only if its for political purposes... lol. But yes the concept is the same, use fear to get what you want... usually resulting from SSS (small ******* syndrome).
:mrgreen:

Depends what your government says. A government may declare a group to be "Terrorists" when it is convenient to them.

Like, Saddam Hussein's Iraq. In 1982 when Iraq was fighting Iran [In a war that Iraq started in the first place] the US removed Iraq from the list of countries supporting "Terrorism". So then the US started to supply aid and crap to Iraq. But then in 1990 when Iraq invaded Kuwait the US CONDEMNED Iraq, something the US didnt do when Iraq attacked Iran.

y'see?

I guess the urban definition for terrorism is either:

A) A muslim [This mainly in the west]
B) A person that uses fear to demoralise a certain group of people or the entire human population
C) Anybody that isnt white [Mainly fascists for this one]

There is no agreed definition on it, however.
You Are Wrong .
May Be Some guys gone rouge.
And That didnt mean We are All Terrorists.
Islam Is a way Of life.

Islam is a beautiful and unique culture.

With that aside, the radicals though, that is how they feel. If you're not a muslim, you should be killed. If you are white, you should be killed. If you are a Christian, you should be killed.

Funny, really. Not much different than the KKK of the USA.

Point is, every culture and every religion has it's radicals. Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim, Hindu, Hari Kristnas. You name it.

my definition of a terrorist is someone who uses terror (bombings, kidnappings, etc) to change peoples opinions.

An islamic radical terrorist to me is someone who wants to convert me to islam, against my will.

If the conversion is against your will, how is it conversion? You can only believe in what you WISH to believe in. Anyone can make you DO things, whatever those things are, but they cannot force you to believe anything at all.

Back