Damning report on Saddam's UK Apologist, George Galloway

phoenix80

Banned
"The Galloway Papers: Parliament's damning report about Saddam apologist George Galloway." (Slate, 7.23.07)

The Galloway Papers: Parliament's damning report about Saddam apologist George Galloway.

By Christopher Hitchens
Posted Monday, July 23, 2007, at 12:07 PM ET

The mills of justice grind with maddening slowness, but they do at least grind. In October 2005, my friend Denis MacShane, the radical Labor member of Parliament for Rotherham, rose on the floor of the House of Commons to demand a joint inquiry by the British parliament and the U.S. Congress into the financial relationship between George Galloway and the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq. This followed the report that month, by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, that presented persuasive evidence showing that Galloway's front organization, a "charity" known as the Mariam Appeal that campaigned against the sanctions on Iraq, had in fact received direct Iraqi subventions from the proceeds of the U.N.-sponsored "Oil for Food" program. Bank records established that Galloway's former wife had been paid at least $150,000 in this way. A completely separate U.N. inquiry chaired by former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker* identified another "Oil for Food" payment to the same lady, this time in the sum of $120,000.

Read the rest here

http://www.slate.com/id/2170981/nav/navoa/

Before damning others, we might remember that Saddam was considered worthy of being a US Ally for many years. It proved a mistake to provide him with weapons, but nothing has been learned from the mistake. Once again "Bush" is pouring weapons into the Middle East. These may one day, also be turned against British and American forces serving in the region.

Before damning others, we might remember that Saddam was considered worthy of being a US Ally for many years. It proved a mistake to provide him with weapons, but nothing has been learned from the mistake. Once again "Bush" is pouring weapons into the Middle East. These may one day, also be turned against British and American forces serving in the region.

what does this have to do with George Galloway being an apologist for a murderer?

One George is an apologist for Saddam, the other was his helper, who is more to blame? I have no time for either! You may not see a similarity Phoenix, but in my opinion all of those mentioned put their own gain before before their duty to humanity.

One George is an apologist for Saddam, the other was his helper, who is more to blame? I have no time for either! You may not see a similarity Phoenix, but in my opinion all of those mentioned put their own gain before before their duty to humanity.

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

This is all I can say for now!

I think the US was arming Saddam because it felt that Iran was a bigger threat. On that note, weapons were also supplied to Iran. I guess it was that old fashioned tactic of letting two bad guys beat each other up.

Quite correct! Some people just choose not to see the inconvenient truth.

As for your comment about weapons that will be used against us. I feel that they already are.

Last edited:
I think the US was arming Saddam because it felt that Iran was a bigger threat. On that note, weapons were also supplied to Iran. I guess it was that old fashioned tactic of letting two bad guys beat each other up.

US didn't arm Iraq as much as the Brits, French, Germans and Russians did. The entire US assistance was restricted to couple of out-dated helicopters and some worthy AWACS support at the end of the war in 1987-88.

Check out how much Europeans aided saddam, afterall he was their big pal

By helping some side doesn't necessarily mean that you either like them or are buddies or pals with them. Don't get that mixed up.
It's not uncommon to arm or train some bad guys because they just happen to be fighting other bad guys that pose a direct problem to your side.
Remember, it's not like hanging out with your buddies. It's kind of different from that kind of system where you lend money to buddies you like and trust.
On the other hand it is true that Europe should stop pretending to be all innocent in this.

Back