Could Germany have defeated the US?

View Poll Results :Could Germany defeat the US?
No, the US Navy would stop any invasion fleet before they arrived. 20 34.48%
Yes, long drawn out battle. 12 20.69%
Yes, short, quick knock out victory. 6 10.34%
No, the US Army would throw any invasion back into the sea. 6 10.34%
No, the US would eventually win a long drawn out victory. 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

--

August 15th, 2004  
Damien435

Topic: Could Germany have defeated the US?

This is a what if sort of question, if Hitler never invaded the Soviet Union and the UK fell, could Germany have defeated the US? Since Germany and the USSR had a NAP Germany would in all likelyhood be able to buy some materials from Russia. Please, five me you insight.
August 15th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

My best guess at this is that Germany would do what it did repeatedly throughout the war - against all odds, do what is logically impossible. The economy of Europe with superior German equipment being produced vs the ridiculous mass production of the USA. Frankly, I don't know how it can't end in a stalemate, but somehow I think that the Germans would probably come up with something. Very intersting to think about.
August 15th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Very hard to call. My guess is that there would be some kind of limited nuclear exchange but that an uneasy stalemate would eventually be called. You would then end up with a 'Cold War' scenario except the Superpowers would be Germany and the USA.

But of course Germany and the Soviet Union would have to settle things sooner or later. That is one war which is IMO unavoidable given the completely opposite ideologoies and the personalities of both Hitler and Stalin.
--
August 15th, 2004  
yurry

I agree - SU would get involved sooner or later!

And if UK fell the US would probably get involved before that happened so they would be on war production if the invasion had happened.

If thi would be, then the Germans would get knocked out on the beachheads. Also - how would Germany initialy deal with US airpower? Carriers at that time were taught to be inferior to ground-based airpower.
August 15th, 2004  
silent driller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurry
Carriers at that time were taught to be inferior to ground-based airpower.
Pilots that flew off carriers were also taught to be more fierce when they fought because if they lost the ship, they were screwed. Land based fighters always had something to return to, even if that something was full of craters.
August 15th, 2004  
yurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent driller
Land based fighters always had something to return to, even if that something was full of craters.
My point exactly - while a carrier would take years to replace an airfield would be repaired in days. Thanks silent driller
August 15th, 2004  
Damien435

Lets not forget that Canada would make a nice backdoor enterance into the US, Germay could in all likelyhood invade Canada with little resistance and then move towards the US.
August 15th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I just dont see how the Germans could maintain their supply lines, they couldent do it in the eastern front on land, so how would that work on the ocean?!
August 15th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

This all depends on US resolve, and how many casulties that generation was willing to accept to cast that madman from the earth. Personally, If this situation ever came to past, I think Hitler would be assassinated and the Cold War develops around a Fascist/Democracy against Soviet mentality.
August 16th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: Long drawn out mess....

Eventually the US would prevail, but it would take forever, the reason, logistics. No doubt the German Infantry was the finest in the war, but that means nothing without the ability to get supplies to the front. Hitting Canada first is a good strategy, but are you able to get the Canadians to make war goods for the occupiers? Those oceans make it tough. Remember, the Germans made an offer to the Mexicans in WWI to invade and fight, they could have probably asked for the same resolve and get invited to Mexico, but then you would have to slog your way all the way to the MidWest to get to the war factories and natural resources, just not possible. Artillery is the King, Infantry the Queen, but logistics is what allows them to claim their titles....

BTW: GodOfThunder - One of the reasons for the horrible German logistics in WWII had to do with the proliferation of so many different types of equipment WITHOUT much interchangability, makes it near impossible to maintain a good supply source when you can't salvage and use parts inbetween weapons systems.