Compulsory Military Service?

--

March 12th, 2004  
Popeye

Topic: Compulsory Military Service?

What is the country that requires there citizens to atend the army after age 18 or something for a couple of years? I think it is Israel and its men and women for 4 years... I don't know... HELP!
March 12th, 2004  
Redneck

Several nations have that, which is known as "compulsory service," the most well known of which is Switzerland, and I believe Israel does use this method too, but sherman105 would be the guy to ask.
March 12th, 2004  
Popeye

Thank you.
--
March 12th, 2004  
dragon_master_gunner

Germany and the Netherlands also do it. So does China. North Korea does, too. You would be suprised at the number of countries in the world that have compulsory service. Very few countries have all-volunteer armies.
March 12th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Do those countries have the same problem the US did with the draft in the mid-late 70s with drugs and fraggings ect.?
March 12th, 2004  
dragon_master_gunner

Most countries with compulsory service allow peple that don't want to serve in the Armed Forces an "out". For example, I know for a fact, in Germany, if someone doesn't want to be in the Bundeswher, they can do some sort of civil service.
March 12th, 2004  
Redleg

It's the same here in Norway.

Men have to join the Military (10-12 months) when they are 18 (max 28), and you have to do do civil service (13 months) if you don't want to join.
But in the recent years, with a lot of budget cuts, the number of soldiers in the Norwegian Defence has been reduced a lot.
100% of the men are supposed to do military service, but in reality only 40-50% are used now.
We do also have a small number of professional soldiers.

Girls can also join the military, but they have to volunteer for that.
March 12th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Yes

Israel has compulsery service. women do 1 year 9 months, men do 2 years 9 months. The reason is that with a population of 6 million and a constant state of war, Israel must use all personnal available. Reasons for "outs" are-religion(if it's against your religion, you dont have to), medical, Facifist(bastards) and natinal security. The people who dont do military service because of religion sometimes get other duties, like teaching and stuff...
March 26th, 2004  
acilius

Add Finland to the list also: http://www.mil.fi/varusmies/index_en.dsp
March 26th, 2004  
Redleg

Tervetuloa Acilius..
(hope I have spelled it correct.. )

It's the only finnish word I know, exept for Kippis and Lapin Kulta...