Compulsory Military Service? - Page 13

--

February 1st, 2005  
SHERMAN

what could be good is to have all 18 year olds go to basic, and than trian for 1 week every year untill they turn, lets say, 30. than you have a large pool of baiscally trained people that you can use to quickly inflate your military.
February 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

You seriously think they'd show up for that one week? This isn't Israel. I'll say it again, compulsory military service does NOT work in this country short of a grave national emergency such as WWII.
February 1st, 2005  
03USMC

I agree with Charge 7. You have to understand the US does not have a history of complusary service except in the event of a national emergency. The 18 year olds here have not grown up concerned about a threat to hearth and home.

In a volunteer Military you at least have the confidence that the 18 year old on your left is there because he enlisted, not because he's a draftee and mad at the world.
--
February 1st, 2005  
SHERMAN

works well enough in Switzerland, and they are hardly in risk right now. And Israelis dont do one week...More like a month. thats after the 3 years of active...
February 1st, 2005  
03USMC

But look at Switzerland Sherman. It's a tradition there.
February 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yeah, we've got enough hippe left-wing pussy kiddies that would cause quite the scene in any "everyone goes to boot camp" scenario.

Besides, Unlike Europe, Americas generally don't like social engeneering concepts because we have a distrust of our gov't and perception is historically they end up causing more problems than they fix (Social security anyone?). So with any social engeneering propositions you have to keep your goals reasonable, like I feel I have with my proposal.
February 2nd, 2005  
SHERMAN

Well, a few points if I may:

1- In Israel not all people report for their service. Some say they are pacifist, some say it's against their religion. Arabs are not drafted, and so on. Sop what? At least most of the population dose it because it's the law. Americans usually do what the law says, if they know it has teeth.

2-This is not social engneering. This is a military notion. It would give the US a very strong force. Now if you start a draft, people dont have to boot-camp. You just give them a short refresh training and send send them to units.
February 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

As you'd know from the anti-war demonstartions. Our minority of Poof are VERY VERY vocal, much moreso than yours.

Mod Edit: Don't use that kind of langauge
February 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7

He's right, Sherman. Any benefit we might hope to gain by your idea would be more than wiped out by the social unrest it would cause. Heck, even in the American Civil War there were draft riots - let alone Vietnam. Nope, nothing short of a WWII type scenario is ever going to make any form of a draft viable again in this country.
February 2nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

And even then it'll be an "if".