Compensating Reservist for pay cuts - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should the government make up for lost pay?
yes 8 50.00%
in some cases 3 18.75%
not sure 2 12.50%
no 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

April 1st, 2005  
Originally Posted by AussieNick
I personally don't think they should. Australian army reserves pretty much take a pay cut over what they'd earn at work, by about half on average. I think it goes with the territory of being a reservist. You know the risk, but it is your passion and your patriotism that is your pay.
I totally agree with Nick but it is tough if you are married and have a young family with a huge mortgage.
April 1st, 2005  
Charge 7
Then if you agree with him, don't get married and have a family and be prepared to live dirt cheap.
April 1st, 2005  
I think that within pre-defined limits the Government should. I say this because if they don't then you can very easily end up with a "class" military. By that I mean only a certain class (white collar, blue collar etc.) of individuals would be in the Reserves defending the rights of the more affluent and that is NOT right. I say affluent and it is this countries interests in general but the end result is the same. Maybe the governement should not pay for it but it simply not allow that kind of harship to take place. Regardless of the word lawyer'ing..... it's just plain wrong folks.