COLONIZE SPACE OR DISAPPEAR FOREVER.

Del Boy

HUMAN RACE MUST COLONIZE SPACE OR FACE EXTINCTION SAYS STEPHEN HAWKING.

Stephen Hawking has warned that unless the human race colonises space within two centuries it will disappear forever.
The astrophysicist says that our only chance for long-term survival is to move away from Earth and begin to inhabit far-flung planets.
In an interview with the website Big Think, Professor Hawking said he was an optimist but the next few hundred years had to be negotiated carefully if humans were to survive.

Stephen Hawking has warned that humans will only survive if we leave Earth and venture into space
‘I see great danger for the human race,’ he said. ‘There have been a number of times in the past when survival has been a question of touch and go.
‘The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 is one of these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future. We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully.

‘But I am an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries our species should be safe as we spread into space.’
Earlier this year, Professor Hawking warned humans should be wary about trying to make contact with other alien life forms as we could not be sure that they would be friendly.
‘If we are the only intelligent beings in the galaxy we should make sure we survive and continue.’
But he warned that mankind was entering an increasingly dangerous period.
‘Our population and use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially along with our technical ability to change the environment for good and ill,’ said the author of the bestseller, A Brief History of Time.
‘But our genetic code carries selfish and aggressive instincts that were a survival advantage in the past. It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next 100 years let alone the next thousand or a million.
'Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain on planet Earth but to spread into space.
‘We have made remarkable progress in the last 100 years but if we want to continue beyond the next 100 years our future is in space.’
Earlier this year, Hawking he said that a spaceship capable of travelling through time - but only forwards - would breach Albert Einstein's theories of relativity.
This means that humans might one day be able to use time travel to skip generations into the future.
Having taken six years to reach its full speed of 98 per cent of the speed of light (650million miles per hour), a day on board the ship would be equivalent to a year on Earth, he said, allowing those on board to reach the edge of the galaxy in just 80 years.

Last edited:
Without getting into the physics or engineering required, I do believe that we should begin investigating the rest of the solar system as a prelude to the rest of the universe. We should start with populating earth orbit, then the moon and then working on expanding to other planets (Mars anyone). The problem is that the R&D necessary will cost money that governments are not will to spend right now. Unless there is a fundamental paradigm shift, this will be just a pipe dream. Long gone are the days of Kennedy and the space race.

The crux of this matter is not when we act, but the fact of Stephen Hawking's warning ; what are we to make of that?

First we would need to find a suitable planet.

1. The planet would have to be solid environmental conditions that humans can survive on. Too Close and we would burn up. Too far and we would freeze to death.

2. The planet would have to be solid as trying to colonize a gas giant might be a tad difficult.

3. We would need a planet with some sort of sustainable gravity field otherwise we will simply bounce off of it or we would be crushed into goo if the force of gravity were too strong (like the planet Murcury).

4. A Oxygen based Breathable atmosphere that can actually sustain life would be nice.

5. To do 1-4 we would actually need a sensor system capable of detecting this sort of planet and we would have to invent a faster than light engine, otherwise it might take us 200 years just to get to this planet, wherever it is.

Good luck!

we would actually need a sensor system capable of detecting this sort of planet and we would have to invent a faster than light engine, otherwise it might take us 200 years just to get to this planet, wherever it is.
not necessarily: Constructing large habitats in Earths orbit, or terraforming Mars or Venus, e.g., has been discussed in the past and not excluded as unviable options.

Rattler

Along the lines of advertising ourselves and location to any life forms there maybe out there, I think that is an incredibly dumb design. Human history proves quite viably that we cannot even get along with ourselves, why invite some possible higher power to our only home to piss them off?

OR flip side that, and say we do colonize space, then the human race let's survival instinct get the better of us, and the humans race rapes and burns lesser intelligent species throughout the galaxy, thus the movie industry would be sustained forever

Last edited:
Unless we find interdimensional beings, well, they find us. This won't be an easy fix Hawking
:/

What you guys are saying is funny. Planet colonization? Faster then light engines?Terraforming!? Seriously!?

All that mankind needs to happiness is the so-called "artificial gravity". Imagine-entire cities inside a space ship. Mining labor camps on Mars. Stuff.
And guess what-unlike your warp FTL travels THIS **** IS MOST PROBABLY POSSIBLE!!!!!(woot woot)

The topic in question is not about human happiness,hell we can't even find that as a species on Earth, it's simpley about SURVIVAL,still mining planets or other celestial bodies in our solar system doesn't solve the really long term problem of when the sun explodes.....

By "happiness" I didn't meant the literal sense of this word...ehh....I'm such a stupid Pole. Well, in my language people tend to say "the only thing I need for happiness is [blah blah blah]" when they need something. But nevermind that.

What I meant is, that with artificial gravity humans won't be depended on Earth anymore. Artificial gravity would allow to have farms, houses, factories..on space ships. Even if Earth would be blown into oblivion, mankind would have easily survived. What's more, artifical gravity would have allowed mines on another planets/moons/ maybe even asteroids. So Earth wouldn't be the only source of resources. Got my point?

I guess having cities in space would be an option.

Partial-Gravity-Ring-Station-Statistics.jpg

Something like that

Could literally have space cowboys, or space pirates. Once the technology has developed to that point of reliability where your not always concerned if your colony ship is going to break down,and if you should grab your oxygen mask. Before others elements of human society are adapted to space.

And A Can of Man, the concept you shown, works by slowly rotating to simulate gravity, the strongest point of which, I think being in the center.

HUMAN RACE MUST COLONIZE SPACE OR FACE EXTINCTION SAYS STEPHEN HAWKING.

Stephen Hawking has warned that unless the human race colonises space within two centuries it will disappear forever.
The astrophysicist says that our only chance for long-term survival is to move away from Earth and begin to inhabit far-flung planets.
In an interview with the website Big Think, Professor Hawking said he was an optimist but the next few hundred years had to be negotiated carefully if humans were to survive.

Stephen Hawking has warned that humans will only survive if we leave Earth and venture into space
‘I see great danger for the human race,’ he said. ‘There have been a number of times in the past when survival has been a question of touch and go.
‘The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 is one of these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future. We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully.

‘But I am an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries our species should be safe as we spread into space.’
Earlier this year, Professor Hawking warned humans should be wary about trying to make contact with other alien life forms as we could not be sure that they would be friendly.
‘If we are the only intelligent beings in the galaxy we should make sure we survive and continue.’
But he warned that mankind was entering an increasingly dangerous period.
‘Our population and use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially along with our technical ability to change the environment for good and ill,’ said the author of the bestseller, A Brief History of Time.
‘But our genetic code carries selfish and aggressive instincts that were a survival advantage in the past. It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next 100 years let alone the next thousand or a million.
'Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain on planet Earth but to spread into space.
‘We have made remarkable progress in the last 100 years but if we want to continue beyond the next 100 years our future is in space.’
Earlier this year, Hawking he said that a spaceship capable of travelling through time - but only forwards - would breach Albert Einstein's theories of relativity.
This means that humans might one day be able to use time travel to skip generations into the future.
Having taken six years to reach its full speed of 98 per cent of the speed of light (650million miles per hour), a day on board the ship would be equivalent to a year on Earth, he said, allowing those on board to reach the edge of the galaxy in just 80 years.

What a surprisingly pointless statement by the guy especially given that we all know the sun is going to swallow us up at some point in the distant future so yes if we don't colonise space we are screwed, the good news is that we have a couple of billion years to do it.

I don't buy the argument that it needs to be done in the near future as the world has suffered major cataclysms in the past and will do so in the future but the human species is a very adaptable one unlike the dominant species that have gone before us.

I would travel through space and time in a police box which would be a spaceship in disguise...wait..ugh..

Anyway, what I mean is that such dreams like "space cowboys" are just that-dreams and talking about them on a military forum in the thread about the issue of space colonization is..... somewhat out-of-place at beast.

Back