Classic Political Move

Forrest_Gump

Just as we hear in the SOTU address how thousands of new teachers are going to be made (I didn't quite get as to where the manufacturing process will take place), it comes out that the Big Guys in DC are trying to cut $12.7 Billion from the Federal Student Aid Programs.

Whatever happened to the days when politicians would at least pretend to be telling the truth and wait at least a couple of months before they stuck it in you.

And before any hardcore Libs get going on this, don't make the mistake of thinking I'm on your side. I dispise all politicians. I figure on their best days they're liars, cheats, and theives. The rest of the time they are on the same rung of the ladder of humanity as lawyers and child molesters.

Really?
From where are the new teachers coming from? Are there so many unemployed teachers that they can all the slots (70,000 is the number I think was mentioned)? If so I stand corrected on that point, But then we move onto the next.
So we get the teachers in place, start graduating more kids that can actually perform the 3R's, and then what? Oh sorry little Jimmy, you can't get aid to go to college to bad so sad?
In this country, no one who is bright enough to go to College should be denied over the issue of money.
What good will it do to fix one part of the system, only to fling a monkey wrench into another part?

Sorry but life isn't fair. College isn't cheap (and the Professor are criminals). I don't have any student loans to pay for my college classes. I worked my ass off and paid. Sure, the GI Bill does help but I worked for that too.

College is supposed to be a gateway and a place of learning how the real world works. But today College is nothign but a liberal brain washing center that teaches folks how to skim the system and be pot heads.

Sorry, but if you're smart enough you'll figure out a way to pay for college.

And lastly, College is designed so people fail. It's not designed for people to succeed. There systems put in place to make people leave. Such as the two Key Course. Math and English. People are either good at one or the other. Not both. It's there for a reason, College wants those that are the best and the brightest. Not the average.

Look, society needs it's truck divers and burger flippers just as much as it's stocker market brokers and CEOs.

Being the know it all you are funding education (provideing new teachers) and helping pay students way through college (student aid.) are two completely diffrent programs and you can fund one without funding the other.

But you already knew this. Especially not even being an American and all.

5.56...very interesting take on college. Now its time for my bit.

Before I ever went to college, I had this crazy idea that it was this place of higher learning. My first beef with college came when Penn State tried to predict my grades by using this wonderful mathmatical fomula that took into account my HS GPA, SAT score and my enterence exam results. The out look was grim since they predicted I had a 1% chance of getting higher than a 3.5 (I got a 3.7 so they can kiss my :cen:). Then I started college and saw how a majority of college students really acted in college. A whole lot of them were more interested in beer, socializing, beer, sleeping in, beer, "getting some," beer...ect ect. Thier last priority was learning and doing the school work. And if I may, these fine fellows were getting grants and financial aid to fund their 4-6 years of college experience.

I have a feeling 5.56 with agree with me that college means a whole lot more when you "earn it" rather then get a free ride. I think that it is sad that people believe that the money for college given by the government is a right. Everyone has become hooked on the money. Now that the government is cutting back on spending, people are yelling bloody murder that the funds are getting shut off.

Now I am not against all cuts. I know that some poor people really need the money. But I have seen too many well off middle class families get way too much in financial aid. COllege use to be a big deal. But since just about anyone can go to college, a college degree has the worth that a HS diploma had in the 1940's. NOw to get ahead you got to spend another $50,000 at grad school to become competitive.

Enough rambling!!!!!

There is always the Pell Grant from the Federal Government. I think they have finally cut prison inmates off.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/student_guide/2004_2005/english/types.htm

What is a Federal Pell Grant?
Unlike a loan, it doesn’t have to be repaid. Generally, Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students— those who haven’t earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree. In some limited cases, however, you might receive a Pell Grant if you’re enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certificate program.
Pell Grants are usually a foundation of federal student aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. If you’re eligible for a Pell Grant, you’ll receive the full amount you qualify for.

Back