chobham armour

--

March 16th, 2012  
asma18

Topic: chobham armour

Can any Brit on this site tell me when the Americans obtained the right to manufacture Chobham Armour.Did you not retain something? did they buy it or was it just given? Apparently the Sth Korean K1 MBT has the British Armour made in the U.S. How stupid is that? giving your competitor the main thing that seperates the Abrams and Challenger. The Challenger thus far has the better service record a lot of that is due to the chobham armour.
March 16th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma18
Can any Brit on this site tell me when the Americans obtained the right to manufacture Chobham Armour.Did you not retain something? did they buy it or was it just given? Apparently the Sth Korean K1 MBT has the British Armour made in the U.S. How stupid is that? giving your competitor the main thing that seperates the Abrams and Challenger. The Challenger thus far has the better service record a lot of that is due to the chobham armour.
I'm not totally sure but I believe it is made in the US under the BAE banner which is a massive British company, with depots and plants worldwide including Australia.

Usually the Brits give away their inventions because government never backs inventors.
March 16th, 2012  
Jonny Reb

Topic: What about the rest of our industries given to East Asia?

Giving away our chobham armour to the US on request, who then hand it on to whoever they like, is nothing new.
Where on earth do you think the Japanese obtained their Battleship and Aircraft Carrier Technology? That cost us our Empire! Yes I Know we were allied to Japanand that alliance made sense. But then we dropped that to become allied to an Anti-Imperialist Former Colony so that we could wage another pointless devastating war against our natural ally Germany - that did not make sense.
Nothing will go right with our country until we replace the shady businessmen at the top with Sensible Nationalists ( the US could benefit from such an approach as well. )
--
March 16th, 2012  
42RM

It was first implemented on the M1
And why should not we share our knowledge with our allies? Knowledge saves lives.
It has always been such that we have the brains and the Americans had the money.
March 19th, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
And why should not we share our knowledge with our allies? Knowledge saves lives.
It has always been such that we have the brains and the Americans had the money.
Well said...
March 19th, 2012  
Trooper1854

I know the fuel tanks for the T-60 were made by a British company.
They got the contract from a then West German company that won a contract from another company to produce the fuel system and these fuel tanks were an off the shelf item which was modified for use in the T-60 (Still with me, or have I lost you?)
I also believe we sold versions of the Chieftan with Chobham armour to Iran, when it was under the Shah, and when the Ayatolah took over the Soviets were given the opportunity to "have a look" as they did with the F-14s they had.
No such thing as a secret nowdays.
August 25th, 2012  
SPECTRE1970

It has always been such that we have the brains and the Americans had the money

Always ?? you Brits suffer under collective inferiority complex
Who gave you the nuclear submarine technology? HMS Dreadnought the first British nuclear submarine and her Westinghouse nuclear reactor 1958 US–UK Mutual Defence Agreement ring a bell ?
August 25th, 2012  
SPECTRE1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma18

The chobham armour is actually simply steel over special ceramic plates,over kevlar ,over steel. The whole system makes up chobham armour and Kevlar was invented in the US so its partly an American invention therefore its not that secret
August 25th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRE1970
It has always been such that we have the brains and the Americans had the money

Always ?? you Brits suffer under collective inferiority complex
The Brits don't suffer any inferiority complex, its a pity our government don't back British inventors as they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRE1970
Who gave you the nuclear submarine technology? HMS Dreadnought the first British nuclear submarine and her Westinghouse nuclear reactor 1958 US–UK Mutual Defence Agreement ring a bell ?
Among other things such as penicillin, fingerprinting, DNA analysis, hovercraft, VTOL technology, (I could go on) who gave you the jet engine and the Magnetron which heralded the evolution of modern radar? Ring a bell?
August 25th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
The Brits don't suffer any inferiority complex, its a pity our government don't back British inventors as they should.

Among other things such as penicillin, fingerprinting, DNA analysis, hovercraft, VTOL technology, (I could go on) who gave you the jet engine and the Magnetron which heralded the evolution of modern radar? Ring a bell?
And the Brits were the first to clone a Welch or a Falklander.....oh sorry I meant a sheep.