The former Soviet Union 17 62.96%
Today's China 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--

November 13th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Diplomatically ... well, not many nations trust them and their list of dependable military and diplomatic allies is pretty sort -- just North Korea. .
China have very good diplomatic relationship with many countries. The Middle East, South East Asia for no doubt, Africa (China gave many aid to African countries in many ways), And now on their progress with the Latin America regions.

China have a better diplomatic condition than many other countries,especially better than America. I don't think European country will prefer America then China.
November 13th, 2004  
Dele

I think the soviet union had away stronger military.

But now in present day China does have a pretty massive population and even with outdated technology it could probably do a lot of damage.

You could look at Pearl Harbor for example, the Americans had technology to detect and try to intercept the japanese carrier fleet. But the japanse just overwhelmed them with massive numbers
November 13th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezechiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Diplomatically ... well, not many nations trust them and their list of dependable military and diplomatic allies is pretty sort -- just North Korea. .
China have very good diplomatic relationship with many countries. The Middle East, South East Asia for no doubt, Africa (China gave many aid to African countries in many ways), And now on their progress with the Latin America regions.

China have a better diplomatic condition than many other countries,especially better than America. I don't think European country will prefer America then China.
If China goes to war tomorrow (with whoever you like), what nations will stand by them no matter what? What nations will stand with China and go to war with them, no matter who the opponent is. North Korea might. Can't think of anyone else.

You are right that China is working on it. That's good. The submarine incident was a fiasco they could have done without of course. They have a long ways to go because, in several different ways, they've dug themself a pretty big hole. Ask any citizen of any nation in East Asia if they trust China. If the person you asked is not North Korean, its very unlikely they say "yes".
--
November 13th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

The soviets were very strong, so i don think china is there yet...
November 13th, 2004  
Cadet_Shelton

It will be interesting to see the long-term effects of China's economic and political changes on their military.
November 13th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

It will be weak and in chaos (thats my theory)
November 13th, 2004  
MadeInChina

over time china will be the greatest nation in the world, history demostrated it, then it will probaly go into a depression and start up again...

any nation with a large landmass, good climate, population, resources and knowledge would have the repeated cource of depression and climax
November 13th, 2004  
westwater

Quote:
godofthunder9010
If China goes to war tomorrow (with whoever you like), what nations will stand by them no matter what? What nations will stand with China and go to war with them, no matter who the opponent is. North Korea might. Can't think of anyone else.
How do you think North Korea will stand by China then?Give me a piece of evidence.After elder KIM (jin ri cheng) died .The friendship between them is not as good as before. Their alliance is already not exist .
If there will be a war china have to face,no one would give his help . so China can not depend any ally but her domestic people.
November 13th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Westwater, that leads directly to my point. The only nation that I could think of that MIGHT be of assistance to China in a wartime situation is North Korea. You say that NK is pretty damn unlikely, so that leaves us with an even shorter list -- Zero.

The USSR had a significant list of diplomatic and military allies that would have jumped in a helped under most circumstances. Cuba, Nicaragua, probably Vietnam, Mongolia, India, Romania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, E Germany, Hungary and others. They had significant influence in numerous areas of the world. Their reach very significantly touched every continent but Australia.

China is trying very hard to be a major player on the world scene. They're seeing some successes certainly, but their image could use a complete remaking -- not very many nations trust them. The level of trust goes down the closer you get to China on the world map.

The very worst thing they could do for themselves right now (diplomatically) would be invading Taiwan. Nobody doubts they CAN do it, but if the DO then it ends any hope of anybody trusting China for a very long time to come. They go back to being the big bully on the block that likes to throw their weight around.

Individulally, China has already surpassed the USSR's best performance in economic and industrial output. They only lack independence in high technological fields. They don't have the massive buildup of tanks that the USSR had/has, but its not likely to take long for them to catch up in that area.
November 13th, 2004  
Ezechiel

Russia-China on military? America-China on military?

Don't judge things so easily just becoz NOrth Korea were a Communist country. China were not USSR, China were more friendly than America in many ways. Come over to Malaysia and ask our leaders : Who do u prefer? surely China r.

If China were kind of strong power act side. They wouldn't have gone to Africa to give aid(Economics, Technology, Social, Medicine). Sent many peoples to South East Asia to push out the friendies between The ASEAN Regions with them.