Canadiens' Fans Boo U.S. Anthem - Again

--
Boots

April 13th, 2004  
DTop

Topic: Canadiens' Fans Boo U.S. Anthem - Again

What does everyone think about the Montreal Canadiens' fans booing the Star Spangled Banner at the NHL playoff game yesterday? Here's the link to the story in case you missed it on the news. http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...NStory/Sports/
April 13th, 2004  
Janie

No surprise, Montreal is one of the RUDEST cities I have ever been in, and if life is fair I will never be there again!
April 13th, 2004  
Jtf2

LOL dude it's because when the habs went to boston they recieved the same treatment and well montreal is the original hockey town...where the press will eat you up if you dont skate and the fans will jump you if you don't score...

And btw janie i rather live in montreal then any other north american city.
--
Boots
April 13th, 2004  
Redneck

Ok, this is going to be one of those just naturally touchy subjects, so everyone please try to keep civil and respectful.

Personally, I think that this about sums it up:

Quote:
The reaction of the crowd to the U.S. anthem may have had more to do with simple bad taste than political activism. Later, during the second period, fans cheered wildly as play was stopped when Boston's P.J. Axelsson briefly lay motionless on the ice after a hit.
And we whooped their butts anyway .
April 13th, 2004  
Jtf2

Lol btw that year the habs eleminated the bruins in 6 games...and they will do the same this year!
April 13th, 2004  
DTop

jtf, the question was about how people felt about the booing of another country's anthem not about where you want to live or some wild prediction about the hockey series.
If you're referring to last March's booing of the Canadian anthem, it was done in Altanta and as a reaction to the same nonsense that went on yesterday in, guess where? Yeah Montreal again. I refer you to http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0320/1527086.html where just 20 or so people booed Canada's anthem at the start and it ended with applause from the rest of the fans.
I don't think it's about Canada vs. the U.S. or Montreal vs. the rest of the continent. Believe whatever you want but I think most fans are disgusted at such rude behavior no matter who it comes from. At least I'd like to think that's the case.
April 13th, 2004  
panzer

Oh well, people in other countries do not have to love us or our national anthem. I does not bother me that a bunch of people at a GAME booed the US anthem the world will continue and US and Canadian people will still be buddies IMO.
April 13th, 2004  
Jtf2

Dtop no in boston they did boo the canadian anthem i heard it lol
2nd last time they booed the bruins was when a thug of the bruins elbowed a cross the face the canadians star player zednik...

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COUNTRY

Its more well it is because people here love hockey and they don't like cheap hits or bad hockey.
April 13th, 2004  
DTop

Not really on topic but, I think I understand what you're saying. Around Boston "les habs" are known as "The Most hated Team in Hockey". Habs fans are known to to rabid but still, booing anyone's national anthem because of what happened on the ice is really not called for and is just plain rude. Especially now that McLaren plays for San Jose!
As I remember it, McLaren clocked Zednik because he was taunting the Bruins' goalie after scoring a goal - bad sportsmanship, a bad hit but that's hockey. That was the second straight game where there was booing of a national anthem that I remember, both times in Montreal. The booing in Boston happend in the following game, that was equally rude.
Oh BTW, that Zednik thing was in 2002. I wasn't there but here's the article.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...25-bos-mon.htm
April 13th, 2004  
Mark Conley

Well...i guess the systems working because they have the right and the ability to boo as they please...of course if my slightly warm beer should accidently spill on a boo-er...oh well its only 4 bucks well spent...