Can S.Korea handle N.Korea alone? - Page 14

--
Boots

February 1st, 2005  
MadeInChina

yup, just like when east germany and west germany united, it was messy as millions emmigrated

such situations could be solved, depending on time
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Yup, the economy, the immigration. The sh1t is going to hit the fan big time. This is why I am strongly against quick unification. It will destroy South Korea. They say in the long run it'll be better. We don't live in a post cold war Germany. We don't have that sort of time.
And I can't stand it but some people think it's going to work just because we're all Korean. I don't need to tell you how retarded that sort of thinking is.
February 2nd, 2005  
MadeInChina

yes, but the way ur stating it is also wrong, ur provoking fear and conflicts for unification, north koreans are the same as south koreans, ur all koreans, but just diff governments and different idology

dont bring about hate to ur northern neighbor, you should learn from history that unification cannot happen if both sides wont disgriminate aginist each other, i have read some of ur posts redneck13, and its pretty aginist the north kroeans, its not helping btw
--
Boots
February 2nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Read my post again.
Fear or mistrust of the neighbor has nothing to do with my reaasoning for the unification. In fact, I left out the entire culture class that will ensue when North Koreans and South Koreans interact again en masse.
The simple point is, South Korea's economy cannot fund the rebuilding of South Korea and North Korea. It simply can't do that. In the event of peaceful unification, even funding just North Korea will be an incredible challenge and we will be hurt and we will be hurt VERY bad.
That's the part I'm talking about.
Mistrust, trust? Nothing to do with it.

As for North Koreans being the same as South Koreans. This is a very dangerous myth. This is not the case. In fact, because of pop culture exchanges between South Korea and Japan, if the language barrier is broken (i.e. the Korean speaks Japanese or the Japanese speaks Korean or both Speak English), the South Korea and Japan actually have more to relate to than with the North Koreans. Shocking but true. Don't believe me? I talked to an expert on this matter... I can't remember her name but she even released a book about Korea and Japan. Anyways she went to a meeting in Hawaii between North Korean, South Korean and Japanese scholars. It lasted about a week. The first three days the South Koreans tried to get along with the North Koreans. But byt he 3rd day they had simply run out of things to say. The South Korean scholars just ended up talking to the Japanese. Why? Because they had far more in common than they had iwth the North Koreans.

I put pride, nationalism etc. issues aside as this is purely the way it is. People fail to accept it because of the 35 year colonization of Korea by Japan. But it's simply the truth.
February 3rd, 2005  
Sexybeast

i dont think using pop culture to define a group of ppl is proper.....
as pop culture changes all the time...

now most of ppl agree that if North Korea attacks South, South should be able to take care of northern soldiers..

how about South attack North, Can south korean army successfully overthrown the Kim familiy's army in north?
February 3rd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
i dont think using pop culture to define a group of ppl is proper.....
as pop culture changes all the time...

now most of ppl agree that if North Korea attacks South, South should be able to take care of northern soldiers..

how about South attack North, Can south korean army successfully overthrown the Kim familiy's army in north?
I think the problem with South Korea going North first is that this sort of move would have very little backing in South Korea alone. For the party in power, it's also political suicide. Another problem, we're under the command of the UN, but of course under American command in terms of military organization, so it means we'll be going against a UN directive in order to do this. But if it was popular, could it be possible? Sure.
February 3rd, 2005  
Sexybeast

i ve heard rumors taht North koreans got lots of bunkers and underground tunnels...some left by PLA in 1950 korean war...some north koreans digged by themselves in later years....

are those tunnels practical? are they useful to fight against the army of south korea, which has state-of-art equipments and training
February 4th, 2005  
MadeInChina

if uve got powerful heat seeking devices then the tunnels and earthworks are useless

yes, the japanese have colonized korea for years, but to bring out such differences that even excluded your northern neighbor, than thats just strange

i dont see how you, a native of the korean pensula, could ever not object to a country that had colonzied and brutalized ur people

im not aginist japanese here, just findinig it strange for redneck 13 to praise the japanese pop culture which had so-called provoked major difference between north and south koreans.
February 4th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Guys you're kinda wrong.

The tunnels that cause the most problems nowadays are purely North Korean. The Chinese may have toyed with this concept and used it to some degree but the major ones are North Korean projects from after the war.
The Chinese were not really notorious tunnel diggers. That credit goes mostly to the Vietnamese, followed by the North Koreans. The North Koreans built the bigger and badder ones that actually are practical in conventional warfare. The Vietnamese variety was purely a guerilla inspired weapon.

For those who don't have experience with remote sensing I'll tell you this, it is very hard to detect things that are hidden under ground. For obvious reasons of course. The best way people detect bunkers etc. is by observing activity that takes place making those facilities. It's VERY hard to pick up things like tunnels. I think there are ways by exploding something and seeing how the vibrations coming back up read on instruments. But that's not my area of expertise.

Other times there have been flukes. I believe one North Korean tunnel that crosssed into North Korea had some "smoke" coming out of a hole. A South Korean squad chanced upon it and a firefight broke out. Can't find anything on the incident so you'll just have to take my word on that one.

I have never praised Japanese pop culture. I said that Japanese pop culture and Korean pop culture have intermingled for so long, and at such a huge scale that the actual cultural similiarities between South Koreans and Japanese is now undeniable... it is simply not a big topic because it's so controversial because of the past.
February 15th, 2005  
Peter Pan

The little experience that I have on the Chinese Army is that they are very adept at tunneling.

It is something that has to be seen to be believed. It is like an underground warren.