"I Can Only Pray" - Page 2

--

March 11th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

But have you ever been to the dangerous parts of any town? The US is a very safe place just make sure you can afford to live in a safer area wherever that may be. Nonetheless i think Vegetius is more likely referring to the fact that as a country we're either friends or enemies to everyone else. If some country is going to get mad at us those in the big cities have the biggest chance of being a victim as opposed to a big city in one of our allies countries. If Kim Jong Il got turned down by a prostitute while he was out drinking and decided to take it out on someone then i would much rather be in Sweden at that moment.
March 11th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic_means
as a country we're either friends or enemies to everyone else.
Well that narrows it down.
Europe has experienced much more terrorism in terms of number of events than the United States, although none on nearly as horrible a scale as 11 September 2001, especially Great Britain (specifically Northern Ireland and England), although there are several active native terrorist groups operating in Germany (although I wouldn't call them our "allie"), and the ELA has the Southwest of France and Northern Spain (the Basque regions) in fear due to numerous bombings and assasinations, so I wouldn't say that the U.S. is any worse of a place to be than any European country in regards to terrorist threats.
And yes, I have been to the bad portions of several U.S. cities (the seedier parts of Oakland, San Fransisco, and Chicago, I have a habit of getting lost in cities, the buildings hide landmarks ), and I walked through them all wearing wranglers, my boots, a cowboy hat, and with a $300 buckle in plain sight, and was never bothered except for a few people yelling "howdy sheriff" and other more or less innocent trashtalking.
March 11th, 2004  
Popeye

In Blatimore I hear about crimes all the time, it so upsetting I get angry... makes me want to join the SWAT team or something.
--
March 31st, 2004  
AlexKall

What are you complaining about, we have one of the most modern military in the world, and is the leading country along with USA in developing high-tech weapons, electronics and naval crafts. We have the worlds first true stelth ship, which is in service sometime during this year.
We supply weapons for countrys around the world!

But yes we do experience alot of cutdowns but there is no threat to Sweden as of now, we've only had some few terrorists trying to blow things up of atleast kill people. As long as the experts see no real threat there will be cut downs, which is understandeble.
March 31st, 2004  
acilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
What are you complaining about, we have one of the most modern military in the world, and is the leading country along with USA in developing high-tech weapons, electronics and naval crafts. We have the worlds first true stelth ship, which is in service sometime during this year.
And you have a field artillery of 48 tubes total!

Check this thread: http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005785-4.html

I can't see how this OB can be enough to defend WHOLE Sweden.

Quote:
60 Home Guard Battalions, (NB, Home Guard Units have no indirect fire assets, no engineering capacity, no AD capacity, and very limited AT capacity)

Intervention Forces

1 operational level command unit
3 brigade combat team command battalions
1 EW battalion
2 signals battalions
1 ranger battalion
1 signals recconnaisance battalion
8 mech battalions (4 122/90, 4 pure 90)
2 AD battalions (I-HAWK, Rbs70)
3 security battalions
1 howitzer battalion
2 self propelled howitzer battalions
2 engineering battalions
2 log battalion
1 airborne batallion (no attack choppers for them though)
Sure, the brigades that are left are second to none, but what happens when they get casualties and are attrited in combat? Also there are only so many towns you can defend with 70 maneuver battalions, especially when 60 of them are operationally immobile ultra-light infantry of the Homeguard. (That the homeguard units do not have heavy weapons, engineers or AD was news to me.)

Technology can only enhance the effectivenes of a combatant, not take his place.
March 31st, 2004  
cryhavoc

Swedish Army? Hell they have been neutral in every conflict in the last 100 years. They probably drink beer and ski all day anyway.
March 31st, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by acilius
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
And you have a field artillery of 48 tubes total!

Check this thread: http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005785-4.html

I can't see how this OB can be enough to defend WHOLE Sweden.

Quote:
60 Home Guard Battalions, (NB, Home Guard Units have no indirect fire assets, no engineering capacity, no AD capacity, and very limited AT capacity)

Intervention Forces

1 operational level command unit
3 brigade combat team command battalions
1 EW battalion
2 signals battalions
1 ranger battalion
1 signals recconnaisance battalion
8 mech battalions (4 122/90, 4 pure 90)
2 AD battalions (I-HAWK, Rbs70)
3 security battalions
1 howitzer battalion
2 self propelled howitzer battalions
2 engineering battalions
2 log battalion
1 airborne batallion (no attack choppers for them though)
Sure, the brigades that are left are second to none, but what happens when they get casualties and are attrited in combat? Also there are only so many towns you can defend with 70 maneuver battalions, especially when 60 of them are operationally immobile ultra-light infantry of the Homeguard. (That the homeguard units do not have heavy weapons, engineers or AD was news to me.)

Technology can only enhance the effectivenes of a combatant, not take his place.
Never did say that it could take its place :P Although i agree that it might have come off as that.

Now afterwords I dont see what I was commenting on in her post, im guessing it was just her faith in the Sweidsh military that got me ticked
March 31st, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc
Swedish Army? Hell they have been neutral in every conflict in the last 100 years. They probably drink beer and ski all day anyway.
What?
Secondly, what do our military status got to do with our military manufacturing capabilities?