Can civilians own a silencer? - Page 3




 
--
 
August 21st, 2008  
Lunatik
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
The real question is why do you want one? Use ear goggles if you want noise suppression. I cannot think of ANY reason why a civilian should be allowed a silencer/suppressor other than the single obvious one.
Because it's cool, lol. It can be put on a secured glass display under spotlights with the rest of your firearm collection and shown to your friends and people who come visit your house. I mean, people collect all kinds of crap nowadays. It's not a bomb or anything dangerous like that. As long as it's well documented and the necessary licenses acquired, I don't see what the problem is.

And of course it's nice to answer a question for the visitors of the forum who might also wonder the same thing.
August 21st, 2008  
A Can of Man
 
 
For that purpose you can use an empty coke can and make a good replica. hehehe
Lunatik, you are a bad liar.
August 21st, 2008  
Lunatik
 
 
Nah, c'mon, it's not quite the same. What am I going to do? Kill someone with my own silenced gun and than hope there won't be a ballistic match? The only thing that beats displaying a silencer in your living room is displaying a ballistic missile. And I'm guessing it'll take a while before they start handing out licenses for those.
--
August 21st, 2008  
TogaOga
 
 
question: why own one in the first place? to protect yourself? are you gonna take the time to put the silencer on (do they make guns that you don't have to mess with the extra piece?)???

sorry, just some dumb questions.
August 21st, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik
Nah, c'mon, it's not quite the same. What am I going to do? Kill someone with my own silenced gun and than hope there won't be a ballistic match? The only thing that beats displaying a silencer in your living room is displaying a ballistic missile. And I'm guessing it'll take a while before they start handing out licenses for those.
------------------------------------------------
Don't underestimate the power of people's stupidity...especially when it comes to guns. I still haven't gotten over the women who shot herself in the head by putting a loaded firearm under her pillow. The punchline...she was a cop. Watch Youtube if you don't believe me, some of the stuff people do is unbelieveable and these morons are so dumb, they actually film themselves being irresponsible, stupid, and unsafe.

But more to the point, the reason you ban silencers is because while most buyers might be legitimate, those silencers would eventually wind up in the hands of criminals. Any cop will tell you that most guns used in crimes are stolen or illegally traded from/by LEGAL gun owners.

"looks cool" is not a valid reason to legalize something whose sole purpose is to commit murder.
August 21st, 2008  
TogaOga
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
"looks cool" is not a valid reason to legalize something whose sole purpose is to commit murder.
that's one reason why i won't even have a gun.
August 21st, 2008  
Lunatik
 
 
Quote:
"looks cool" is not a valid reason to legalize something whose sole purpose is to commit murder.
You're going to have to take that to your local law maker because it's already legal, provided that you're willing to go thorugh all that paperwork and the extra provisions.

Normal people, let alone intelligent ones, shouldn't be penalized because of the actions of dumb people. The vast majority of the crimes are committed with unsilenced guns anyway, so I don't see how owning a silencer can effect the statistics that badly.

The thing is, I never even said I wanted to own one. I simply asked a question, which was answered and I'm thankful for that. Would I want a silencer in the future? Maybe. I do think it's a "cool" item to put on display. But if it's going to cost me my privacy, I probably won't.
August 21st, 2008  
A Can of Man
 
 
Don't get one.
August 21st, 2008  
TogaOga
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik
Normal people, let alone intelligent ones, shouldn't be penalized because of the actions of dumb people. The vast majority of the crimes are committed with unsilenced guns anyway, so I don't see how owning a silencer can effect the statistics that badly.
YOU HAVE A POINT THERE.

*sorry, all caps
question, how do we know who are the dumb ones, and who would just "snap"? another reason why i wouldn't own a gun, people could just snap in the blink of an eye.
August 21st, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik
You're going to have to take that to your local law maker because it's already legal, provided that you're willing to go thorugh all that paperwork and the extra provisions.

Normal people, let alone intelligent ones, shouldn't be penalized because of the actions of dumb people. The vast majority of the crimes are committed with unsilenced guns anyway, so I don't see how owning a silencer can effect the statistics that badly.

The thing is, I never even said I wanted to own one. I simply asked a question, which was answered and I'm thankful for that. Would I want a silencer in the future? Maybe. I do think it's a "cool" item to put on display. But if it's going to cost me my privacy, I probably won't.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

That depends on the state, some states like mine they are totally banned. And those that do allow it require a special type of license, which is why very few people actually do. I understood you, but you failed to answer the general question that was asked twice, which was: Why does a regular citizen need on?

TogaOga

I am not talking about the mentally ill or criminals, thats a given. I am talking about stupid people who have no respect for firearm safety.

That goes back to the original question "Why do normal law-abiding citizens need one?" Its the same reason we don't issue ICBMs to the public, not only they are dangerous and there is no actual reason for a law abiding citizen to own one. Only a very few select few public sector jobs are issued silencers. They are so dangerous they aren't even issued as regular gear to most police or military personnel.
 


Similar Topics
Afghan Bombing Kills Up To 8 Civilians, Including 3 Children
Afghans Say U.S. Airstrikes Killed 21 Civilians
Killings Of Afghan Civilians Recall Haditha
New Law Could Subject Civilians To Military Trial
Toll Of Civilians NATO Killed Was Worst Since It Took Over