Can China Allow Korea to Unite Peacefully?

godofthunder9010 said:
China - isn't it amazing how criticial they are to the equation? They have the power (if they choose) to strongarm North Korea into negotiating a peaceful reunification with the South. They could make it happen faster than anyone dares dream. They also have the power to string the current situation along almost indefinitely. They seem to push for the status quo though there is no obvious reason for doing so except paranoia. .

Now knowing S.Koreans are against Chinese, so why should China help them unify. Playing N.Korea against S.Korea seems quite reasonable under current anti-Chinese sentiment in S.Korea, isn't it.

Just check the Chinese websites, especially those inside China, you then know how Chinese treat S.Koreans now, especially after the "Gaojuli" issue.

China Moves 30,000 Troops To N Korean Border
http://216.26.163.62/2004/ea_china_10_12.html

Flying Frog, didn't you say China would like or wouldn't mind a united Korea? What's the sudden change? Didn't China have a united Korea at its border for centuries? ;)

China will be happy to see a re-unification between NK and SK in the long run. I think the overall process of getting there politically and economically is a worry for China.

One of China's big concerns is that a sudden collapse of NK will cause a massive refugee problem at the Chinese-NK border which they just don't want on their "dinner plate" at this stage.

the_13th_redneck said:
Flying Frog, didn't you say China would like or wouldn't mind a united Korea? What's the sudden change? Didn't China have a united Korea at its border for centuries? ;)

Things change fast in this fast going new world :lol:

FYI, Chinese government just banned any Chinese officials to hire Korean maiden in house, "afraid of" them being Korean spies :D
A lot of Korean refuguees working in China as servants in the Chinese families especially in Beijing and Northern Provinces since Chinese like them they only work but don't talk.

aussiejohn:
Yes, in the long run Korea will be united for sure. China does not worry about Korea at all, they have been good puppet of Chinese empires for long time in history, in the future as long as they stay as good puppet of China, Chinese won't mind if they got united.

FlyingFrog said:
China does not worry about Korea at all, they have been good puppet of Chinese empires for long time in history, in the future as long as they stay as good puppet of China, Chinese won't mind if they got united.

Must every country in the Pacific region be China's puppet nations?

Shall Japan be China's puppet nation too, before China is happy?

Who said every nation must be China's puppet?

Japan? Japan has been Chinese puppil for thousand years, learning basically everything from China, writting their country's name and all their personal names in Chinese, Japan is basically the No1 Chinese civiliazation influenced country in the world outside China, of course Korea too except Korea changed most of their writting systems :D

Yes they can - When China goes superpower in the world Taiwan will pray to be a part of China again, welcome to the global world finance èra. :lol:

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

SAINT said:
Must every country in the Pacific region be China's puppet nations?

Shall Japan be China's puppet nation too, before China is happy?

It would seem so wouldn't it? The more I read the posts here the more I am reminded of the. "Greater Asia Co-prosperity sphere" that was all the rage in the late 30'S ;)

Actually the Chinese origined culture the Japanese learned was from Korea, not China. It's a simple matter of geography that can determine this. If China was the direct source, then it would be the Okinawa Islands that would be most influenced by the Chinese culture, not Honshu.
Not to mention there's a lot of documents about trades between Korea and Japan. China, I think, didn't care much for people they regarded as "backward barbarians."

FlyingFrog said:
Who said every nation must be China's puppet?

Japan? Japan has been Chinese puppil for thousand years, learning basically everything from China, writting their country's name and all their personal names in Chinese, Japan is basically the No1 Chinese civiliazation influenced country in the world outside China, of course Korea too except Korea changed most of their writting systems :D

Perhaps the greatest detriment to Chinese greatness has always been their self assurance that they are always better than everyone else .... whether they are or not. Look at the late Qing Dynasty and its refusal to admit that the West might actually have some better ideas than them. Its a great example.

godofthunder9010 said:
Perhaps the greatest detriment to Chinese greatness has always been their self assurance that they are always better than everyone else .... whether they are or not. Look at the late Qing Dynasty and its refusal to admit that the West might actually have some better ideas than them. Its a great example.

Truer words were never spoken.

This applies with everyone. The instant you feel that you have nothing to learn from others, or even from yourself, you have sealed your fate.

It will never happen. The US will have a BIG, and I mean BIG ass dish pointing at china from the border right away

south korea and north korea is one of the results of cold war, russia and US is the key point, until now chinese view is just a secondary factor. whereas in my view to china, nothing changes in the peninsula is ideal. otherwise chinese would feel panic and threatened. If US attack North again, i think 70% china will interfere again.

What do u mean by "If US attack North Korea again"?
North Korea started the damn war.
If you don't believe it, just look at the order of battles for all the sides involved and tell me from that, why you would think otherwise.

If I had to guess, I'd say that zbsilb is referring to whether the USA invades NK in the very near future. In those circumstances, China jumping in almost goes without saying. That's why the United States will have to make absolutely certain that China is onboard for any action to deter NK from making nukes.

Yup. Anything that happens here can spin rapidly out of control.
It's that "again" in the sentence that makes it inaccurate.
And hope America don't do a pre-emptive thing in Korea. That would be disaster for EVERYONE.

Even with advanced tecnology and such owned by the us military, it will be hard to even breakthrough and destory/conquer north korea.
1) diffcult terrain does not allow blitzkrieg style fighting the us excells at such as during desert storm
2) the regular north korean soldier is much more agressive and patrioic as well as endurance than what many americans think.
3) while the us has massive air support and a undefeatable navy, north koreans have thousands of pieces of artillery hidden well under the bunkers build since the 50s
4) China will intervene, which is probaly what will happen and is the strongest point of the 4 i listed here

Chinese intervention is the hardest part.

Here's some problems for the North Korean artillery. Artillery shells need to be replaced every few years or else they actually go bad and in many cases fail to explode. North Korea can't afford to change its ammo all the time, unless of course China supplies them.

North Korean tougness and the rough terrain will be difficult, especially deforestation which can cause floods, will make hills very difficult to take.

But I think you should read this thread to get some information on why it isn't cut in stone, and how North Korea can actually be beat faster than a lot of people think.

But you are off topic. This is can China allow peaceful unification of Korea? And I think the answer has been "no" so far.

Back