Can anyone ID this gun?

Lunatik

1377118kj7.jpg

It's supposed to be a Russian silenced 9mm SF rifle. Anyone knows its name?

9mm sniper rifle? what's the range on it? how much knock down power? Is it similar to an MP5? Wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in that. May have to shoot target 20 times to kill them in some cases.

wikipedia said:
The 9x39mm cartridge is a subsonic rifle round used in Russian firearms. It was based on the 7.62x39mm M43 cartridge, but with the neck opened up to accommodate a 9 mm bullet. The intent was to create a subsonic cartridge for suppressed firearms of special forces with more power, range and penetration than handgun cartridges, as 5.45x39 mm cartridge introduced in 1974 for AK-74 lacks bullet weight for acceptable energy at subsonic velocities (although there is subsonic load for it). The bullet is heavy, approximately 16 grams, double that of the 7.62x39mm, and is subsonic, avoiding the sound of a sonic boom. The low velocity limits the effective range in comparison with standard non-suppressed assault rifle, but when comparing with handgun rounds commonly fired by SMGs, 9x39 mm round has almost twice the energy of subsonic 9x19 mm round and a bullet with higher BC an sectional density, thus having effective range of about 300 - up to 400 m.
There are 3 versions of the 9x39 mm cartridge: the SP-5, the SP-6, and the PAB-9. The SP-5 was developed by Nikolai Zabelin. It is a conventional lead core FMJ bullet, but developed for accuracy. The SP-6 was developed by Yuri Folov. It has a dense metal core (not covered by jacket at the tip), designed to be armor piercing. It can penetrate 2 mm of steel at 500 meters or 6 mm of steel, 2.8 mm of titanium or 30 layers of Kevlar at 200 meters. At 100 meters it penetrates 8 mm of steel, containing enough power to neutralize the soft target behind. The SP-6 bullet is expensive, so an attempt was made to make a lower cost version, the PAB-9, but it sacrificed too much performance to be usable.
The weapons that use the 9x39mm cartridge include the AS Val, AK-9, OC-11 Tiss and OC-14 Groza assault rifles, the SR-3 Vikhr and 9A-91, and the VSS Vintorez and VSK-94 sniper rifles.

Looks ideal for use in cities if you ask me. Must be really scary for the Chechens.

effective range 300-400 m. That don't seem like a Sniper rifle to me, more like an MP5. WHy do they call it a Sniper rifle? Just because of the scope? Don't make sense to me.

effective range 300-400 m. That don't seem like a Sniper rifle to me, more like an MP5. WHy do they call it a Sniper rifle? Just because of the scope? Don't make sense to me.

I have seen descriptions of it as an Assault Rifle too.

I think perhaps knowing its specs, we can make our own decision about its employment.

They'd call it a sniper rifle because of its application. To classify it as a submachine gun would be very misleading.
Maybe it is a first in a class of its own... perhaps the Urban Marksman Rifle or something like that.

They'd call it a sniper rifle because of its application. To classify it as a submachine gun would be very misleading.
Maybe it is a first in a class of its own... perhaps the Urban Marksman Rifle or something like that.

Yea it does seem like the perfect urban sniper rifle, short, light weight for a sniper rifle, and with a hard hitting 9x39mm round. Then theirs the silencer.

Yea it does seem like the perfect urban sniper rifle, short, light weight for a sniper rifle, and with a hard hitting 9x39mm round. Then theirs the silencer.

Yup... we have two winners. It was built to be a Urban Sniper Rifle.

The 9mm out of a MP5 does not have the range of 400-500 meters.

right wasn't saying that. just the size of weapon/round 9mm and also wondering how much more powerful if at all it might be compared to an MP5.

The most attractive part to me is the silencer. Although, wonder why it's not recommended to be fired without it. Would it work or is it useless if silencer is off?

Last edited:
as you can read on many sources the Vintorez is made for a very specific role- a small, silenced sniper rifle for russian special forces in urban terrain. the 9X39 is actually a very capable round, and comes in AP versions as well. There is indeed an Assault rifle very similar to it that is called the Val, and is also fitted with a silencer.

right wasn't saying that. just the size of weapon/round 9mm and also wondering how much more powerful if at all it might be compared to an MP5.

The most attractive part to me is the silencer. Although, wonder why it's not recommended to be fired without it. Would it work or is it useless if silencer is off?

The whole point of the weapons system was to develop a sniper rifle that could penetrate body armor 300 yards away silently and with no muzzle flash to look for. It'd be pretty terrifying to face at night if you don't have a sensor to find the sniper IMHO.

With such a short barrel and a silencer on it the range must be pretty low, so I am wondering just why it needs a telescopic sight on it

With such a short barrel and a silencer on it the range must be pretty low, so I am wondering just why it needs a telescopic sight on it

Probably so the operator can get some stand off and concealment. This thing is designed to pick off people at medium range (300-400 meters) in complex terrain, like urban areas, and allow the operator to fire without giving his position away. That's why the silencer and the subsonic ammunition, which would make this thing almost impossible to locate unless you could directly eyeball the shooter. I imagine that like the DeLisle Carbine (.45 ACP) of WWII, the only thing you would hear is the striker hitting the percussion cap and slight "wuff" as the round goes out.

The reason you can't fire it without the silencer is that the barrel has holes drilled into the rifling grooves, which bleed propellant gas into the silencer. So if you did remove the silencer, you would get a cloud of very hot propellant gas all over the place and a more noise - both of which would give your position away.

This thing is a nasty little assassin’s weapon.

Do rifle silencers (or that silencer in particular) get really hot when the user full-auto bursts?

Back