Busted - Lockerbie Bomber release was about oil

Good grief because of oil? They will be invading countries next!

Welcome to the world of big business and political lobbying.

Why can't the government just say "yeah it's the oil" when they should know by now that everyone's going to figure out sooner or later?

It's a jab on doing the wrong thing to gain access to oil, something the US is accused of doing on more than one count.

It seems to me that Al Megrahi’s prosecution was ‘not proven beyond reasonable doubt.’ and some of it was fabricated for political reasons. In fact his personal conviction was mainly based on a single identification.

Fragments of a Samsonite suitcase believed to have contained the bomb were found. Items of baby clothing, thought to have come from the same suitcase were traced to a Maltese merchant who testified that he sold the clothes to someone of Libyan appearance which he later identified as Al-Megrahi. However, he had seen a picture of Al-Megrahi in a magazine beforehand.

Whilst this identification is important, the possibility of corruption has to be considered in view of the following.

A circuit board fragment was found embedded in a piece of charred material. These pieces were thought to be part of the bomb timer, and were identified as part of a Toshiba Bombeat radio cassette player. The timer allegedly was traced through its Swiss manufacturer, Mebo. Mebo's owner later revealed that in 1991 he had declined an offer from the FBI of $4 million to testify that the timer fragment was part of a timer supplied to Libya. The Mebo employee who appeared in court lied and later admitted that he had stolen a timer printed circuit board from Mebo and gave it without permission to "an official person investigating the Lockerbie case"

A former FBI laboratory scientist described the FBI laboratory itself as a "crime scene", where an unqualified colleague would routinely alter his scientific reports. The interviews also revealed that the timer fragment had never been tested for explosives residue due to "budgetary reasons".

In addition, an unaccompanied bag had been routed onto the flight, which was shown to be the suitcase that contained the bomb and a security guard had reported that Heathrow's Pan Am baggage area had been broken into 17 hours before flight 103 took off. Police lost the report and it was never investigated or brought up at trial.

Why can't the government just say "yeah it's the oil" when they should know by now that everyone's going to figure out sooner or later?

Because the Oil industry and their political cronies are still too arrogent to think the Public doesnt see what is going on, -which was true prior to 2003.

Perhaps the only silver lining in the whole Iraq mess is that the press and the public do not naively accept explainations of their governments relations with oil producing countries any longer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess he should have read the article before posting. Or, he was so eager to bash the US he didn't have time to read it.:confused:

He probably knows Americans are outraged over the decision but that's not his point.
Precisely.

Yes, Chukpike, I hate the country I live in and want nothing more than to see it destroyed. :roll:

Honestly, do you read what you've typed before you post it?

Precisely.

Yes, Chukpike, I hate the country I live in and want nothing more than to see it destroyed. :roll:

Honestly, do you read what you've typed before you post it?

Hmmmmm... Don't know if I read what I type, but at least I read the material others post before commenting.:p

Maybe you could explain your original comment:

"America must be so proud."

as the 13th Redneck didn't come up with anything plausible.

The only mention of the US in the article is it's disagreement with the release.

It is hard to figure out what you expect from the United States. Right now you have someone who lives in South Korea explaining it to us.:roll:

Doing stupid things to get oil; seems to have become an American tradition, and I was commenting that Britain seems to have taken one out of our book.

Is it just me or do I have to explain everything?

TOG, you know how he is when cornered.
Nothing plausible? I said he knows Americans are outraged over the decision to release the Libyan guy but that's not what TOG was referring to for "Americans should be so proud." He was referring to conducting questionable/wrong actions with oil as the motivation.
Just had to hold myself from saying something stupid. I think we understand each other so I don't think we need to pursue this much further.

And Perseus, I've heard that before as well but it would have been far more convincing had they released the report first, made a case to the public, and then released him, instead of meeting Libyan government folks, striking an oil deal, and then releasing him in record time citing some kind of "compassionate grounds."

Last edited:
There will be trouble here it is found he was released for an oil deal, so I will wait and see just what comes out in the enquiry, as there is bound to be one.

Back