Bush's farwell present from the Iraqi people

I doubt most people would react to invasion well... And does that argument exempt the United States from being "allowed" to get mad because we got attacked?

But they didn't attack us did they? The Iraqis were not involved in 9-11, nor were they involoved on the attack on the USS Cole, or the first Twin Tower attacks. The coountries with an indirect involovement were Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait, and Pakistan -all "friends" (so I am told) of the US. Ironic than what happened. isnt it? We ignored the countries that were involved and bombed the country that wasn't.

Yes but Arabs have a long history of dealing with invaders, which should make anybody with an iota of military intelligence think twice about going into that hellhole. Remember the US Military advised Bush NOT to invade.

DTOP

I can tell you that many Middle East leaders are more used to getting a shoe thrown at them then they are about newspapers (foreign and domestic) write about them. What we call "freedom of speech" they consider a unpardonable insult.

Different culture, different values.

Last edited:
But they didn't attack us did they? The Iraqis were not involved in 9-11, nor where they involoved on the attack on the USS Cole, or the first Twin Tower attacks. The coountries with an indirect involovement were Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait, and Pakistan -all "friends" (so I am told) of the US. Ironic than what happened. isnt it? We ignored the countries that were involved and bombed the country that wasn't.
Well, we didn't exactly ignore Afghanistan or Pakistan. And I'll not say they weren't involved, because I'd bet the farm that there were and are terrorists involved with the organizations that executed all those attacks, but we didn't go into the main countries. You're right about that.
mmarsh said:
Yes but Arabs have a long history of dealing with invaders, which should make anybody with an iota of military intelligence think twice about going into that hellhole. Remember the US Military advised Bush NOT to invade.
Like I said, we'd be stupid to think that there are no terrorists with connections to Al Queda in Iraq... And it doesn't matter how long their history is... Obviously, because of their long history, they might think twice about their foreign policy... Maybe try to cut down on the number of people they piss off on a day-to-day basis... Then they wouldn't have to defend themselves QUITE as often.

Last edited:
Let's lobby the International Olympic Committee to introduce shoe throwing into the 2012 Games!

foudy.jpg

y190138600041916.jpg

Is it just me, or does Prime Minister al Maliki look a little too nonchalant - as if shoe throwing at a press conference is just another day at the office. Conspiracy maybe?

mmarsh said:
DTOP

I can tell you that many Middle East leaders are more used to getting a shoe thrown at them then they are about newspapers (foreign and domestic) write about them. What we call "freedom of speech" they consider a unpardonable insult.

Different culture, different values.
mmarsh, I know all I need to know about Arab culture. You see, I've been there already so I don't need lessons about the difference in cultures thank you very much.
BTW, it's not on my vacation destinations list either.

Dangerous things shoes, didn't one nearly bring down an airliner? Shame this one wasn't a few sizes larger! anyway from the Daily Mash

IRAQ HAD SHOES ALL ALONG, CLAIMS VINDICATED BUSH

shut1.jpg
Saddam built a super-shoe to attack Israel​

PRESIDENT Bush last night claimed his decision to invade Iraq had been vindicated after US troops uncovered an arsenal of shoes on the outskirts of Fallujah.

More than 400 lethal shoes including sandals, pumps, desert boots and a solitary brogue were revealed as Mr Bush paid a final visit to Iraq to see if there was anything left.

A White House spokesman immediately dismissed claims the US invasion had been based on Saddam Hussein's alleged stockpile of chemical and biological weapons, adding: "No we didn't, we said shoes.

"We did and if you heard weapons of mass destruction, that's your problem. You might want to try using a cotton bud."

The spokesman added: "We believe that many of these shoes would have been built in China with Russian laces, French-made heels and odour-absorbing insoles purchased through back channels via the west African state of Niger."

Prime minister Gordon Brown backed Mr Bush insisting many of Iraq's shoes were slip-ons that could activated in less than 45 minutes.

But France denied supplying Iraq with shoe components insisting its only exports to Saddam's regime had been a 1994 shipment of humanitarian espadrilles.

Meanwhile the Kremlin said most of Iraq's shoes had actually been bought from ex-US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld when he worked for Hush Puppies in the early 1980s.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/iraq-had-shoes-all-along%2c-claims-vindicated-bush-200812151458/

Last edited:
Damn it! We were right all along!!!

On a serious note... I found this on News Managers article...

After a meeting with Hamid Karzai in the capital of Kabul, Bush said he told the president of Afghanistan: "You can count on the United States. Just like you've been able to count on this administration, you'll be able to count on the next administration as well."

I found that statement a bit comical.

Last edited:
For anyone that thinks that shoes aren;t dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid_(terrorist)

I guess Iraq has reached the point where Iraqis feel comforatable criticizing the man who brought them their freedom.

We could have waited for the UN to get things done, but we all know how corrupt that organization is. Likely 10 more years of sanctions would only have made Saddam, Kofi Annan and his son richer. All the the expense of the Iraqi people.

Does anyone here honestly think that America doesn;t want to leave?
We are kind of obligated to fix the country since we kiinda broke it. My only concern is that our new president will bring us home before Iraq is able to look after itself.

BTW I will be deploying to Iraq in March. My 2nd Deployment.

Godspeed to you on your deployment. Come home safely.

I think that we should never have gone in there, and that yes, we need to stick it out and help, but the Iraqi people would be perfectly content to let us take the bullets for them. They don't mind us helping out, because it means they don't have to do anything. They need to take responsibility for their country.

Godspeed to you on your deployment. Come home safely.

I think that we should never have gone in there, and that yes, we need to stick it out and help, but the Iraqi people would be perfectly content to let us take the bullets for them. They don't mind us helping out, because it means they don't have to do anything. They need to take responsibility for their country.

Thanks.

And that is what we are working on. But it takes time. We have to make them understand that they can do this for themselves. Don;t forget that they lived under Saddam and his secret police for so many years, they have almost no initiative. We are working on training them, and building their confidence in themselves and their leaders, so that they will be able to take over. Understand that they are doing a significant amount of the work now, but now is precisely the wrong time to abandon them. We have been working, with a lot of success to develop their police and military but we have had a lot of challenges. Their culture is so much different than ours we have had to adapt our training methods to work within the bounds of thier society. Corruption, nepotism, political connections, this is all part of the way that they view the order of things. Don;t forget that getting them to commit to ANYTHING is a monumental task. It's Allahs Will. Maybe means no. I'll look into it means maybe. You get the idea.

Thanks.

And that is what we are working on. But it takes time. We have to make them understand that they can do this for themselves. Don;t forget that they lived under Saddam and his secret police for so many years, they have almost no initiative. We are working on training them, and building their confidence in themselves and their leaders, so that they will be able to take over. Understand that they are doing a significant amount of the work now, but now is precisely the wrong time to abandon them. We have been working, with a lot of success to develop their police and military but we have had a lot of challenges. Their culture is so much different than ours we have had to adapt our training methods to work within the bounds of thier society. Corruption, nepotism, political connections, this is all part of the way that they view the order of things. Don;t forget that getting them to commit to ANYTHING is a monumental task. It's Allahs Will. Maybe means no. I'll look into it means maybe. You get the idea.
Yeah... I'm hoping that a swift withdrawal threat will "light the fire" under their butts and we will see some large steps of progress instead of this constant trickle we've had for the past 7 years... I don't know if it's just a threat, or if we will really be gone by 2011, but either way, this should get some movin and shakin done.

I just hope that our leaders realize that the country will never be 100% secure. We have to determine what is good enough. They also have to expect a surge in violence right after we leave. You know that the insurgents will claim victory over America when we leave. What ever happens, I'm glad that Saddam is gone. And his kids. Don;t know if you ever heard about what his kids did but they were terrible.

This was taken from Saddma Husseins bio on Wikipedia

Uday Hussein (June 28, 1964 - July 22, 2003), was Hussein's estranged son who ran the Iraqi Football Association, Fedayeen Saddam, and several media corporations in Iraq including Iraqi TV and the newspaper Babel. Uday, while being raised to succeed his father, eventually fell out of favour with his father due to his erratic behavior: being responsible for many car crashes and rapes around Baghdad, constant feuds with other members his family, and killing his father's favorite valet and food taster Kamel Hana Gegeo at a party in Egypt honoring Egyptian first lady Suzanne Mubarak, wife of Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak. He was widely known for his paranomia: his use of torture against people who disappointed him in any way, which included girlfriends who came late, friends who disagreed with him (even on minor issues) and most notoriously, whenever Iraqi athletes performed poorly. He was also well known for his excessively lavish lifestyle, owning hundreds of cars (presumably stolen), wines, paintings and palaces equipped with luxury goods and while the ordinary Iraqi starved, had clothing rainging from Dior, to Armani and foods ranging to steaks from Zimbabwe, Caviar from Iran, wine from France and fruit from Chile, most of them acquired from loopholes in the sanctions. He was briefly married to Izzat Ibrahim ad-Douri's daughter but later divorced her. The couple had no children. He was killed in a gun battle with US Forces in Mosul.
Qusay Hussein (May 17, 1966 - July 22, 2003), was Hussein's second and favorite son. Qusay was believed to have been Hussein's successor as he was less erratic than his older brother and kept a low profile. He was second in command of the military (behind his father) and ran the elite Iraqi Republican Guard and the SSO. He was believed to have ordered the army to kill thousands of rebelling Marsh Arabs and frequently ordered airstrikes on Kurdish and Shi'ite settlements. He was also believed to have assisted Ali Hassan al-Majid in the 1988 Halabja and Dujail chemical attacks. He was married once and had three children. His oldest son Mustapha Hussein was killed along with his father and uncle in Mosul.

BTW they were killed by US forces in Mosul by firing a TOW missile into the house they were hiding in. They were surrounded and fired on US forces who came to arrest them. Can't say I'm sorry to see them go.

LOL.Bush can duck like a pro. I thought it was very funny. And GW seemed to find it amusing as well, by his expression...

But people have already forgotten.
Actually it's quite typical.
In East Germany they forgot about how bad life was under the eyes of the secret police.
In Cambodia, the killing fields are almost a lost memory.
I guess it's better to be oppressed under someone who is the same nationality as you than to be given a chance at some freedom while temporarily under someone foreign.
Either way, Godspeed Hokie.

I heard some screams in the adjoining room, presumably the security guards taking it out on the shoe throwing journalist. However, I still fancy his chances more than if he had threw the shoes at Saddam. Doesn't bear thinking about really!

Well at least you can realize that. Some people would think Saddam would have admired his courage and given his children free college education in the United States.

Back