Bush tells Iraqis to get their crap together

--
Boots

March 31st, 2006  
PJ24

Topic: Bush tells Iraqis to get their crap together

Bush Tells Iraqis to Govern Now

Quote:
"I want the Iraqi people to hear I've got great confidence in their capacity to self-govern," Bush said. "I also want the Iraqi people to hear - it's about time you get a unity government going."

I like the message, but I think we'd fair better with the message if we weren't talking about keeping troops in the country for several more years at the same time.

The argument about national security seems weak to me, the middle east is already a hot bed of terrorist activities, and by our standards, there are very few countries we don't consider "radical" in the region.

I don't necessarily believe we should withdraw our forces from Iraq altogether right now. That said, I do think withdrawing troops from the cities and into the outer Northern, Southern and Eastern regions would be a good idea. This would force the IPs, military and admin to actually govern. The only time we need to go back in would be if the the government was at risk of collapse, or if outsiders (terrorists) were causing disruptions. This would also alow us to focus on the outsiders coming in with their little toys.

The Shias don't want unity, they want revenge against the Sunnis. The Sunnis aren't going to pull back and stop attacking because they don't see any reforms that guarantee their safety. And we are caught in the middle of it all, we're (the military) the teacher breaking up school yard fights.

We need to start looking at the current situation with fresh eyes, step back and really take a hard look because what we are doing isn't working. Things aren't better or worse, they're pretty much stagnant.

March 31st, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
Bush Tells Iraqis to Govern Now
Things aren't better or worse, they're pretty much stagnant.
Unfortunately where the Iraqi government is concerned you may be right. Too many political factions and hardheaded people are at work here.
April 1st, 2006  
bulldogg

Divide and rule. Its the only philosophy of government I can think of for a situation like you have in Iraq. Every country with similar clashes of culture that has a stable government uses this technique. If they can't learn to get along, you play them off each other and establish a balance that way. Sukarno's leadership of Indonesia and Suharto's subsequent regime are prime examples of the technique. Problem is, it is very "un-american" so it wouldn't fly when it gets its trial by media back home.
--
Boots
April 1st, 2006  
Rob Henderson

A bit like the Reagan admin...Draw the troops out of Vietnam gradually and then see if the Iraqiis can defend themselves...Of course in Vietnam it didnt work too well...What was it, 5 months after we pulled out completely? As to your teacher analogy, what we need to do is get on the damned walkie-talkie and get some backup teachers...Like in Chief Bones' speech, get those people on list 1 to help out...one teacher cant break up a big fight...he needs help...
April 1st, 2006  
bulldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/2Lt Henderson
A bit like the Reagan admin...Draw the troops out of Vietnam gradually and then see if the Iraqiis can defend themselves...Of course in Vietnam it didnt work too well...What was it, 5 months after we pulled out completely?
History has been re-written.

Hee hee hee.
April 1st, 2006  
Rob Henderson

I suppose history does have a way of repeating itself...
April 1st, 2006  
bulldogg

Reagan didn't pull troops out of Vietnam bruv.

And although I know what you meant the second half is funny too... I am curious what Iraqis are doing in Vietnam.
April 1st, 2006  
Rob Henderson

D*OH! I dunno what the heck I was typing just then...NIXON!!! sorry fellas...lol...and again sorry for that Iraqii thing...ITS LATE! LEAVE ME ALONE!lol...I JUST TOOK MY LUNESTA FOR THE NIGHT SO IM TIRED!
April 1st, 2006  
Ted

Huh...... what going on guys? I am dumbfounded at what I am reading. The way I see your metaphor is that the teacher gave the kids all the chance they needed to go at eachother. After that done he's going in for a cup of coffee.
Three years ago things were going to be set straight. With or without the rest of the world.... Anybody who said that this wasn't the best way to go about it was unpatriottic (for US citizens) or a unloyal coward (the rest). Suddenly you can't seem to get a democracy working overnight and it's time to leave. Bush started the storm of violence and while it is not even close to an end he tells the others to take over and set things straight. What is he thinking..... if he is thinking at all.
Leaving is not only morally wrong, it is also the act of spoiled kid that can't seem to get his expensive toy going and casts it aside and starts looking for a new one.
April 1st, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Huh...... what going on guys? I am dumbfounded at what I am reading. The way I see your metaphor is that the teacher gave the kids all the chance they needed to go at eachother. After that done he's going in for a cup of coffee.
Three years ago things were going to be set straight. With or without the rest of the world.... Anybody who said that this wasn't the best way to go about it was unpatriottic (for US citizens) or a unloyal coward (the rest). Suddenly you can't seem to get a democracy working overnight and it's time to leave. Bush started the storm of violence and while it is not even close to an end he tells the others to take over and set things straight. What is he thinking..... if he is thinking at all.
Leaving is not only morally wrong, it is also the act of spoiled kid that can't seem to get his expensive toy going and casts it aside and starts looking for a new one.
It has been approximately 2 years (or longer) that they have been hashing out a government. The opposing factions at each other's throats is what is keeping the government from being brought into being fully.

The opposing factions can not work together as they have differing ideals and ideas that they feel should be met before all others. I mean how long does it take to write/draft a constitution? They can not even seem to agree on some of the basics, let alone ratify or make any amendments to it.

Of course I am not well informed so I may be way out of bounds here.