Bush To Seek More NATO Partners

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Post
November 22, 2006
Pg. 4

President Bush plans to propose next week in Latvia an expanded partnership with NATO for five countries: Japan, Australia, South Korea, Sweden and Finland.
But NATO will not be expanded at this year's summit beyond its 26 present member countries, officials at the White House and the State Department said. Six Arab countries are partners with NATO, as is Israel.
Though NATO was initially formed to deter the Soviet Union in Europe, "our agenda with Europe is now a global agenda," Undersecretary of State R. Nicholas Burns said.
Bush will also renew at the gathering in Riga, Latvia, his push for NATO members to raise their levels of defense spending, particularly for the Afghanistan mission, a National Security Council official said.

I highly doubt Sweden and Finland as new NATO members,the PfP programme works well in Scandinavia and Finland do have restrictions to take care of regarding Russia. The current NATO membership of the Baltic states the highly possible presence of NATO countries in the North might have Putin to tip over in one way or the other.

I would just want them already to invite Israel and South Korea. Though sadly I know that Israel will not be invited because of political issues. Same reason behind why Taiwan isn't viewed as a indpendent nation. Taiwan should be a member of NATO.

With such an expansion of NATO (Japan, Taiwan, South Korea) the organization needs a new name and to move away from its original specs.

Back