Bullpup vs. M4/M16 - Page 5

--

August 1st, 2009  
SHERMAN

i dont really understand what he menas by that..Ill find one of my guys and ask him...
August 1st, 2009  
Tovarish1

One of the toughest tasks in the military is issuing a new rifle. It costs a lot and you have to issue them to like 1 million people. But bullpup designs are ideal for CQB. Not as ideal as say SMGs but I trust the M4/M16. Those 2 rifles are one of the icons of the US military and if the US is doing really well with it, then there's no point in rearmament for now.
August 1st, 2009  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarish1
One of the toughest tasks in the military is issuing a new rifle. It costs a lot and you have to issue them to like 1 million people. But bullpup designs are ideal for CQB. Not as ideal as say SMGs but I trust the M4/M16. Those 2 rifles are one of the icons of the US military and if the US is doing really well with it, then there's no point in rearmament for now.
Only update I could see being worthwhile would be a gas piston upper to reduce stoppages, but I don't know how reliable the current iterations of the M16 have gotten. Maybe it's completely unnecessary.
--
August 1st, 2009  
A Can of Man

Again, bullpup for CQB is debateable. Although it's a shorter weapon, unless it ejects the shells directly down or forward, you can't switch hands and that can be a problem with corners.
August 1st, 2009  
major liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
Only update I could see being worthwhile would be a gas piston upper to reduce stoppages, but I don't know how reliable the current iterations of the M16 have gotten. Maybe it's completely unnecessary.
I always thought most of the problems with the AR happened during feeding. Though the heat reduction and ease of maintenance makes piston systems well worth it.
August 1st, 2009  
c/Commander

You're right - the AR's problems were due to feeding, but this is a result of the direct impingement design - the weapon "shits where it eats". The gas system dumps off into the bolt carrier group, which is right atop the magazine and such in normal operation - so the more you use the weapon, the dirtier the feed system gets.
August 5th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
You're right - the AR's problems were due to feeding, but this is a result of the direct impingement design - the weapon "shits where it eats". The gas system dumps off into the bolt carrier group, which is right atop the magazine and such in normal operation - so the more you use the weapon, the dirtier the feed system gets.
I must admit I was surprised that the M16 didnt use a similar gas piston system as on the FN FAL and AK47.

I have heard however, that the latest version of the M16 is very reliable.
August 5th, 2009  
A Can of Man

The K2 uses the same gas piston system as the AK series rifles and I can vouch for its reliability.
August 5th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The K2 uses the same gas piston system as the AK series rifles and I can vouch for its reliability.
Our old L1A1 SLR rifles had the gas piston which was very reliable, provided the gas regulator was properly set.
August 7th, 2009  
Tovarish1

Wait were we talking about a specific bullpup in particular?