Bet a Cigar

--

January 10th, 2015  
tetvet

Topic: Bet a Cigar

I'll bet a Cigar that I'm the only one in this forum that fired expert with the 3.5 Rocket Launcher Bazooka , the original Bazooka I think fired a 2.36 rocket , the target was pulled along by a little trolley device I hit the trolley knocking it off the rail range about 75 meters bent the trolley so it couldn't be used any more that day .
January 10th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
I'll bet a Cigar that I'm the only one in this forum that fired expert with the 3.5 Rocket Launcher Bazooka , the original Bazooka I think fired a 2.36 rocket , the target was pulled along by a little trolley device I hit the trolley knocking it off the rail range about 75 meters bent the trolley so it couldn't be used any more that day .
We fired and practiced with the LAW rocket-propelled grenade launcher when I was in. Never saw a bazooka and that was in the late 70's. Sounds like you had a direct it.
January 10th, 2015  
tetvet

The 3.5 needed a two man crew the loader and shooter the weapon itself could be broken down into parts and was lite maybe 8 pounds it could kill a tank pierce 3 inches of armor , I've never fired the LAW but did fire the M-79 Blooper , the blooper in automatic form were mounted in the nose of huey gun ships in Vietnam they called the gun ship hogs because of the short barrel sticking out the nose of the ship .
--
January 10th, 2015  
MikeP

I fired the 3.5 in Infantry AIT, but they never rated us.

We carried them in VN as I was with the CIDG Program. We also carried Carbines, BARs and A6s. M79's bark was worse than it's bite.
LAWs were junk. They were susceptible to weather. They were known to have bounced off PT76s.
We had the older type Huey guns. They loaded them so heavy I have assisted in pushing them to help them get airborne.
January 10th, 2015  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet

Never fired one but I will take you up on that cigar, I fancy Gurkha Evils, can get quite pricey so pony up.
January 10th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
I fired the 3.5 in Infantry AIT, but they never rated us.

We carried them in VN as I was with the CIDG Program. We also carried Carbines, M79A and A6s. M79's bark was worse than it's bite.
LAWs were junk. They were susceptible to weather. They were known to have bounced off PT76s.
We had the older type Huey guns. They loaded them so heavy I have assisted in pushing them to help them get airborne.
The Law I trained with was not made to take out a tank with a direct hit to it's frontal armor. It was more of a rocket propelled grenade.
January 12th, 2015  
MikeP

All LAWs were designed to take on tanks.
I believe they were rated to penetrate 11 inches of homogenous armor.
I don't think they had a HE projectile.
We used them against bunkers.
The climate just got to them.
Light Anti-tank Weapon.
January 12th, 2015  
brinktk

We still use the LAWs today to take out bunkers or "murder holes". Doesn't have the punchof an AT4 but is certainly easier on the shoulders to carry and doesn't get caught on evert piece of foliage sticking out of the ground.
January 12th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
We still use the LAWs today to take out bunkers or "murder holes". Doesn't have the punchof an AT4 but is certainly easier on the shoulders to carry and doesn't get caught on evert piece of foliage sticking out of the ground.
When in I was instructed by a Vietnam vet. This is basically how he described using them (as you described). To blast a stronghold at fairly short range. The NVA didn't have-use that many tanks from what I was told.
January 12th, 2015  
tetvet

In my opinion the RPG and AK-47 was superior to anything we had on that level .