Best tanks, Allies or Axis? - Page 4

--

October 22nd, 2004  
Doppleganger

I don't think any Pershings were involved in action in WW2, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the comment re my first born on a Panther re Sherman FF yes I was a little over the top. I'd still take the Panther Ausf G over the FF. Aside from that gun the FF was a much inferior tank.
October 22nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

No, a few Pershings showed up for the last stages:

Quote:
Just 310 Pershings reached the US Army's armoured divisions in northwest Europe before the war's end. The new tank found itself against Panthers, Tigers and King Tigers and quickly proved itself to be just as resistant to punishment as the best of them.
The World's Great Tanks, Roger Ford
October 23rd, 2004  
Animal Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
I don't think any Pershings were involved in action in WW2, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the comment re my first born on a Panther re Sherman FF yes I was a little over the top. I'd still take the Panther Ausf G over the FF. Aside from that gun the FF was a much inferior tank.
The Sherman was also better regarding reliability and maintenance friendly.
--
October 23rd, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger

Once the Panther had it's teething problems ironed out it was actually quite a reliable tank. It was clearly not ready when it was introduced at the Battle of Kursk. You're right about the Sherman being more maintenance friendly, one of the few things the 'tommy cooker' had going for it.
October 24th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

I would say AXIS and the russian T-34
November 1st, 2004  
The thin Red Line

You all seem to right off the Uk tanks .

So would you all please look up the comet tank.

short 17pdr (sherman firefly) firing sabot rounds could out range all german guns , could kill all tanks including the royal tiger on frontal arc.

armour not well shaped but 4 inch on turret.

and very very fast had a 600 bhp engine from the spitfire (p51d mustang)

UK kept them well into the 1950's before replacing. As same gun and engine as the centurion
November 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Yes, but that is the only decent tank the came up with, and it came late in 1944, when it was already too late.
November 2nd, 2004  
Kinection

Quote:
Shermans are sneered at by alot of people but I personally think they were very good tanks, I heard an account of some russian troops recieving some sherman tanks and saying that they thought them to be alot more reliable and easy to drive than their own Russian T-34 tanks.
Quote:
The Russians did not regard the Shermans as good tanks, and definitly not reliable or armored for that matter.

Russians thought the tank was poorly constructed, things would break off in the cold and the armor was so thin that some times, shells would go straight through the tank without going off.
November 2nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, we've had quite a lot of chance to discuss it. So I wonder how many disagree with my ranking for overall tank quality in World War II as follows?
#1 - Germany
#2 - USSR
#3 - tie between USA and UK
#4 - Italy
#5 - Japan
November 2nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Hmm, id agree with that.