With Arafat's Death, will there be peace?

--

November 11th, 2004  
Brotchador

Topic: With Arafat's Death, will there be peace?

Do you think that there will be peace in the middle-east now that PLO chairman Yasser Arafat is dead? or will the Palestinians engage in a bloody power struggle? will Israel benefit from his demise?

Comments please...
November 11th, 2004  
Asskicker

one of problem i want to point out is about the money

Arafat had firm control over the money so he has the control over everything

however, many ppl have doubts long ago that Arafat may not use all the money ppl donated for Palestinian ppl
in addition, a lot money are in accounts that only Arafat and his advisers know,
if Arafat dies suddenly without a will and sort of stuff, where are the money????

money is everything , remember...ppl in Palestine need money to live
November 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

It's coin flip now.
50/50.
--
November 11th, 2004  
Ezechiel

A Short terms of conflict must happen.

BUt generally I don't think it will effect much. Arafat should have known his heal condition were bad and already choose the replacement.
November 11th, 2004  
Asskicker

yeah, but seems that all the possible replacements are not as good as Arafat, that may cause a lot trouble within Palestine and with Isreal
November 11th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Quote:
not as good as Arafat
What was he good for? He caused great damage to the Palestinians and great damage to Israel.

With him out of the way there is abetter chance for peace, but it will take a while.
November 11th, 2004  
DTop

Quote:
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Yasser Arafat (news - web sites), revered as the beacon of Palestinian statehood but reviled as a sponsor of terrorism, died Thursday at the age of 75.
It looks like we're about to find out.
November 11th, 2004  
Brotchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Quote:
not as good as Arafat
What was he good for? He caused great damage to the Palestinians and great damage to Israel.

With him out of the way there is abetter chance for peace, but it will take a while.
Mahmoud Abbas was just elected as PLO Chairman replacing Yasser Arafat. I understand he (Abbas) is considered as a moderate, has recognized Israel as a country and has distanced himself from PLO terror activities.

With him at the helm what are the chances there could be finally peace in the mid-east? and what about Hamas, Fatah? and the other radical palestine factions? would there not be a bloody struggle for recognizion among them for Palestinian supremacy?
November 11th, 2004  
dougal

. But there is hope but I dont think in this life time. Look how long it took to straighten Northern Ireland and thats still not right after 100s of years!!
November 11th, 2004  
Brotchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal
. But there is hope but I dont think in this life time. Look how long it took to straighten Northern Ireland and thats still not right after 100s of years!!
i've often heard and read about the IRA, have you got a link where i can read all about the trouble in Ireland?