Animal rights protesters

KC72

In light of this story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4176094.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4640199.stm

How should these more extreme protesters be dealt with? as common criminals or even as terrorists? to actually grave rob a relatives body takes them into a different league. One animal rights protester actually compared the breeding of guinie pigs for research on the farm to the Auschwitz concentration camp!! I think the full weight of the law should be thrown against them and their intolerence. I would like your opinions please.

i dont understand how things have gotten this far. this is an issue that should have been dealt with a long time ago.

does anyone remember PETA handing out that cartoon flyer to the kids of parents wearing fur at the showing of the nutcracker?

protesting has become a life of its own, and it shouldnt have gotten this far to begin with. people who resort to robbing graves and targeting young children in such vulgar ways need to be dealt with.

think about it. if one person handed out one cartoon flyer, they would have been picked up for some charge or another.

animal rights activists (not all, but some) have become so extreme they cross all sorts of legal lines: stalking, harassment, verbal assault.

so why is it okay to do these things as long as you have a name for your organization? it certainly wouldnt be okay for one individual person to do it.

and i wonder what would happen if any of these protesters got cancer or HIV/AIDS or alzheimers. would they just sit back and let it overtake them, or would they undergo treatment? treatment that is available because of animal testing?

These ghouls have fouled themselves in a way that is near other societal taboos such as cannibalism and bestiality. I say no rights for them. Hunt them down and use them as "guinea pigs" in a frontal lobotomy experiment.

The lesson I would like them to take to heart is the time they decided to free all the minks at a mink farm - thousands of them, and they then proceeded to devour every indigenous small animal in the surrounding area for miles and miles.

Ethical treatment of animals yes, but use common sense about it.

Do these people really have nothing better to do with their lives? My brain cannot fathom why people go as far as to put animal life before human rights.

This was a really interesting interview I saw a while back. The problem with PETA is that they don't want us to use animals for anything other than taking photos from a distance and the occasional cuddle!

While this interview is around the practice of muesling sheep (a practice that is being phased out by 2010), check out the interviewers comment:

"If Ingrid Newkirk (head of PETA) says she won't only hurt the profits of the wool industry, she's determined, she truly believes it, that she'll shut it down forever."

She want to get rid of sheep farming altogether - presumably so that she can release sheep back into the wild. !!!!

"It's tough talk, but don't underestimate Ingrid Newkirk's power. US retail giant Abercrombie & Fitch, with over 300 stores across America, has just announced they won't buy Australian wool. It's reported PETA threatened a campaign branding them 'Abercruelty & Fitch'."

Isn't that just plain blackmail - she's saying unless you stop doing one thing, I am going to deliberately hurt your business. We elect governments to make laws. If she believes she is right, she should run for government and change the law rather than being a vigilante minority that employs blackmail as her chief tactic.

Here's another extract regarding her views on animals:

IAN MCLACHLAN: When you understand that these people are all vegans — they don't approve of eating meat, they don't approve of any of these livestock ventures, they don't approve of pets or anything else — then it is for people to make judgments about them. I mean, you just can't sit there and take it because they happen to have some view of life that most people on earth don't have.

PETER OVERTON: In Ingrid Newkirk's ideal world, all animals will live free. No-one will wear or eat an animal product, including milk or eggs. The list goes on.
Fishing?

INGRID NEWKIRK: Hunting in the water.

PETER OVERTON: Horse racing?

INGRID NEWKIRK: No. I'm not in favour of that.

PETER OVERTON: What about swatting a fly?

INGRID NEWKIRK: Well, the jury is perhaps out on insects.

She also wants her body barbequed in front of people when she dies.

I've got no problem with the ethical treatment of animals but this woman is a complete nutter. But she's also an eco-terroist - and I hope someone sues her ass right after they throw her in jail...

I suppose milking the deadly snakes of the world to extract anti-venom to save lives is verboten too.

Extremist = exclusionary. Simple as that. If you are an extremist, you have no consideration whatsoever for those with a difference of opinion or desires in life.

Somebody should lock her up in a room with those high frequency sound machines that they've used to record the "screams" of plants as you cut them. "Here, Ingrid, have a salad."

Surely she has seen a predator pull down and eat a prey animal. They aren't too fussy about the prey being dead when they start eating.

Charge 7 said:
She'd probably offer the lion some tofu.

By the way Charge, I heard on the news this morning that some governmental group, probably Interior Ministry wants to "re-introduce" grey wolves into Vermont and several other States. As far as I know, there never was Grey Wolves permanently in Vermont or the states around it. These things are larger than most other wolf species and capable of pulling down a big calf not to mention a pet or little kid. I'm going to check into this more. I just don't think people are that stupid.

Missileer said:
Charge 7 said:
She'd probably offer the lion some tofu.

By the way Charge, I heard on the news this morning that some governmental group, probably Interior Ministry wants to "re-introduce" grey wolves into Vermont and several other States. As far as I know, there never was Grey Wolves permanently in Vermont or the states around it. These things are larger than most other wolf species and capable of pulling down a big calf not to mention a pet or little kid. I'm going to check into this more. I just don't think people are that stupid.

This is a good idea. Wolfs dont attack people thats a myth. We have Coyotes, so farmers have devoloped ways of protecting cattle. We do have a major Deer problem (they have tried extending hunting season, exterminators you name it). I have 2 Deer kills (and a few geese) painted on the fuselage of my Dads Volvo Stationwagon. At least the wolves would keep the deer in check.

Oh there were wolves in Vermont but not for the last 100 years or so. We had mountain lions here too (called "catamounts" here) up until the 1890s. They're "back" now in a way. Not the original cats but western ones that people who bought them as pets or whatnot and released them into the wild. I saw one 20 years ago here. My friends thought I'd been drinking or gone crazy. They have proof now though, scat samples, hair follicles, and of course, pictures. They know there's at least four of them here at present.

As for bringing back wolves, well the problem with bringing back an animal to its former territory is that here the range they had when they did live here no longer exists, nor does the amount of prey to sustain them.

We have a huge problem with animals that are here as it is. Moose have become a real problem in that car collisions with them are usually fatal to both the driver and the moose. They are too high up for their eyes to catch the headlights and so warn motorists on wooded roads at least that much. And also by being so high up their body lands on top of the car squashing the cab with some 1500 llbs of weight let alone the force of the impact. It's a high level concern here now as the problem is growing.

Well, maybe some wolves won't be a problem if they have plenty deer. A pack of 3 or 4 can handle a sick Moose but the healthy ones are pretty safe. If mmarsh is right, they won't give people a problem but livestock is a different problem. I think that's where most of the dissent is coming from, the ranchers. As far as the big cats, I've got news for America, they are where you don't think they are. Now they have killed hikers and won't hesitate to attack a human if hungry.

As I said, there isn't enough prey for them nor the open range for them. The deer are sadly depleted here the past few years. Last year's deer hunt was down by hundreds and they're considering a tapered back season this year. Hard winters and poor growing seasons have not been kind to Bambi.

You do know that cows are a big thing here right? Up until 1967 they outnumbered the people here. I don't see dairy farmers putting up with having even one wolf running around here.

Oh and besides the moose, we have problems here with eastern coyotes ("Coy-dogs" here) as it is. No need or niche for wolves.

I imagine though that once Ingrid gets news of this the three little pigs will have to give up their homes and relocate for the wolves' sake.

Yes but thats a temporary reprieve. Deer reproduce very rapidily all you need is several years with a decent climate and you'll have your're deer problem all over again.

As for the range, i dont really see that as a problem. Wolves tend to wander so they will spread out into New England, New York etc. There lots of forest space in the Adirondack Mountains and further north. I'm sure the Dairy Farmers wont like the Wolves, but farmers in the NorthWest have dealt with the problem. Wolves generally attack cattle only if they cannot find their regular game, and those that do are destroyed or relocated.

I used to see coyotes all the time. Coyotes dont hunt the same game as wolves. Coyotes tend to follow the wild turkey flocks (common in the fall) and other small mammals and rodents. They can even eat berries and herbs and carrion.

I have only seen 1 Moose. But I lived in SW Vermont. Moose are more common up North. As for Cougars (Mountain Lion) yes they can be dangerous but those attacks are rare. Any predetor will attack if hungry enough.

Coyotes are like rats, they prefer the ready-to-eat food that we throw around everywhere. They don't like to work for a large meal when tidbits in cities will do. I have and still see them in trash dumps and just along highways. I think our natural habitat has become theirs.

mmarsh said:
Yes but thats a temporary reprieve. Deer reproduce very rapidily all you need is several years with a decent climate and you'll have your're deer problem all over again.

As for the range, i dont really see that as a problem. Wolves tend to wander so they will spread out into New England, New York etc. There lots of forest space in the Adirondack Mountains and further north. I'm sure the Dairy Farmers wont like the Wolves, but farmers in the NorthWest have dealt with the problem. Wolves generally attack cattle only if they cannot find their regular game, and those that do are destroyed or relocated.

I used to see coyotes all the time. Coyotes dont hunt the same game as wolves. Coyotes tend to follow the wild turkey flocks (common in the fall) and other small mammals and rodents. They can even eat berries and herbs and carrion.

I have only seen 1 Moose. But I lived in SW Vermont. Moose are more common up North. As for Cougars (Mountain Lion) yes they can be dangerous but those attacks are rare. Any predetor will attack if hungry enough.

I guess you don't have much idea what a wolf's range is do you? Or a real good idea how much interconnected woodland is left in this part of the country. No room for wolves here, no need for them either. Have people learned nothing from screwing around with ecosystems? The risk of damaging the existing ecosystem is far greater than any possible merit gained by bringing wolves back into a region that's had no room for them in over a century.

Back