The American War for Independance - Page 6

--

December 5th, 2004  
Damien435

Some interesting things about the war of 1812.

It was not till the British defeated Napolean and were able to give America it's full attention that we started to win.
The brits burned down the White House but we destroyed half of Toronto.
The only truly decisive battle of the war was not fought until after the war was over, when we defeated the brits at New Orleans.

The Spanish-American War was probaly one of the most important wars in American history, it proved that we could take the war to the enemy, come on, we destroyed the entire Japanese Pacific Fleet with only one casualty, and that guy died of a heart attack.

The American Civil War saw the use of new technologies for the first time in battle, breech loading rifles, gatling gun, iron clads, all this was new to the battlefield. I know that some countries already had Ironclads but we proved their effectiveness.
December 7th, 2004  
Darcia

1st sub to sink an enemy ship also came from the Cival war from the ....SOUTH!.......anyway don't forget the submarine.
December 13th, 2004  
Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordrapier
As for the American Civil War. The major powers of europe sent military observers to the united states to watch the progress of the war. These observers went home and forgot the lessons that were learned. These lessons about how to fight with new weapons had to be relearned by europe in the Crimean War.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the Crimean War occurred before the American Civil War - 1853-1856 (including the Russian attacks on the Turks) GB and France entered the war in 1854

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War

The only other "major" wars (that I am aware of) that GB took part in prior to the Great War are the Zulu and Great Boer Wars. I am basing this assertion on the following site:

http://www.sirgarnet.com/19thCenturyWars.html

It was the result of a google search on 19th century wars so I apologise in advance for any inaccuracies.

But I agree with your point that many of the lessons of the ACW went unheeded at had to be re-learned.
--
December 14th, 2004  
mdvaden

I believe that Independence is in the mind in many cases.

Maybe it was the war where people felt free in their minds rather than in their laws.
August 13th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

The 1812 war was pointless neither side wanted it and no body gained anything from it (no country were able to acheive its objectives)however america did gain respect from it
August 22nd, 2005  
LeEnfield

Now what happened after the American War For Independence, Britain then went out and settled Australia and New Zealand instead, so when you look at some of the best countries world like America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, you will find that Britain had no small part in shaping them