American Hero! - Page 2

--

January 24th, 2005  
ARMYMOM

That was exactly my point. Everyone knows the names of the soldiers involved in the prison scandal but not the names of men like these.
January 24th, 2005  
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYMOM
That was exactly my point. Everyone knows the names of the soldiers involved in the prison scandal but not the names of men like these.
dont get me wrong,but i think its beacouse this is what they are payed to do,and torturing prisioners on that way isnt in their job despcription
January 24th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

if you want to go there, there is nothing in any military manual about taking your life by jumping on a grenade to save your fellow soldiers.

That is called going above and beyond the call of duty.

BTW, I see no connection between acts of heroism and and the abuse scandal. Those acts are a reflection of the people who did them. I would not expect PFC English or any of those other bastards to do what Peralta did nor would I expect Peralta to abuse prisoners.
--
January 25th, 2005  
ARMYMOM

Your right! There is no comparison to a HERO and those involved at the prison. Peralta as well as others who go above & beyond their duty should be household names.

Instead we only here about the negative-my intention was to tell his story, the story of a hero.
January 25th, 2005  
Charge 7

An amazing story. A true personification of duty and honor. I do hope and trust that SGT Peralta is awarded the Medal of Honor. I'm glad to have read this story. I only have one very minor critcisim - I don't think that PFC Lynch and SPC Wilson should've been mentioned in the same breath as PFC England. Serves no purpose to cast aspersions towards them. I recognize the author's intent, but it detracts from an otherwise well written article.
January 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

People have recieved the Medal of Honor for doing the exact same things in the past. I don't see why this one last honor shouldn't be bestowed upon him as well. If anything it'll let his name live a little longer and for a very long time in the list of people who recieved the medal.
January 26th, 2005  
k19

Heros need respect, no matter where they from........................
January 26th, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
what a man...americans should remember him when they are enjoying their freedom back home
this is overrated..
So the sacrifice of this Marine is overrated huh. Maybe your missing the part where he saved his Fellow Marines by cradling a grenade against himself. Etheir way thats a pretty low thing to say.

See if ya can guess what I'm thinkin about that comment.

yes it is very heroic but i have heard many of those storys..
January 26th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Snauhi and Marksmen should be ashamed for what they said. How pathetic have you become when you can't even see heroism?

Charge7 - Eh, I'm going to have to agree with you on that one but I'm not going to fault the author for his choice.
January 26th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Sure these things have happened many times. But that doesn't make them worth any less.
It's one of those things were you don't have an excuse of being unqualified, or undereducated, untrained... it's a simple piece of action that anyone can physically do. But imagining yourself actually doing it... now it becomes a little different doesn't it?
And if you say "YES I CAN DO IT!!!" you're probably dreaming. It's something you'll never know until it's already happened.