Forum Spin Doctor
Who Am I?

I am under 45 years old,
I love the outdoors,
I hunt,
I am a Republican reformer,
I have taken on the Republican Party establishment,
I have many children,
I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.

Did you guess?

I am Teddy Roosevelt in 1900

GO Sarah!

We live in the land of the free, because of the brave.

Why? What's funny about it? I missed the joke... I thought it was supposed to be about how just because a person doesn't have a lot of experience, it doesn't mean that that person can't be a great Vice President, or even the President.

Why? What's funny about it? I missed the joke... I thought it was supposed to be about how just because a person doesn't have a lot of experience, it doesn't mean that that person can't be a great Vice President, or even the President.
But is it really political, or just propaganda?

Just making the point that people have no right to criticize a person with little experience. That could go for Obama as well.

But is it really political, or just propaganda?

If you are general enough anything can be true.

By the same token this is apparently also true:

Academic Background:

Theodore Roosevelt: Bachelor of arts degree (*** laude) in history and government from Harvard College (1880). Attended Columbia Law School (1880-82). Author of numerous works on history and politics, including The Naval War of 1812 (required reading at the U.S. Naval Academy), Life of Thomas Hart Benton, Life of Gouverneur Morris, Essays in Practical Politics, The Winning of the West (four volumes), History of New York, Hero Tales from American History, American Ideals, and The Rough Riders.

Sarah Palin: Bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho (1987).

Law Enforcement/Military Experience:

Theodore Roosevelt: Deputy sheriff in the Dakota Territory, police commissioner of New York City, captain in the New York National Guard, colonel with the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, veteran of the Spanish-American War.

Sarah Palin: None.

Political Experience:

Theodore Roosevelt: Member of New York state assembly, U.S. civil service commissioner, New York City police commissioner, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, governor of New York.

Sara Palin: City council member and mayor of Wasilla, Alaska; governor of Alaska.

Wasn't Abe Lincoln met with same attitude? Here comes a bumpkin from the backwoods?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can take it.;-)

Here's a thought, let's say John McCain lives a while.... Care to compare him to Barack Obama? Since you're voice counts in this election anyway....{/sarcasm}

Wasn't Abe Lincoln met with same attitude? Here comes a bumpkin from the backwoods?

Maybe it would be a good question for McCain as he was probably there.

:)

I don't think it would have mattered who was elected at that period in history as there was enough political infighting to ensure that a sizable proportion of the country was going to be extremely unhappy.

Self Educated and well read, too. 2 things I wouldn't say so readily about Palin...

(and Lincoln HATED hunting. Even for food.)

Comparing Sarah Palin to Teddy Roosevelt is just ridiculous.

First of all the comparison is mostly on personal traits not professional. Enjoying the outdoors, sportsman, hunter, parent, horseshoe thrower, is nice and all, but what does it have to do with running the country??? NOTHING!!!

As for experience Teddy was MUCH better qualified as the Governor of NY, the NYPD police commissioner, a state assemblyman for the 2nd largest state in the country. As a New Yorker I can tell you he was one of the better state politicians the state ever had. He completely recreated the corrupt joke that was the NYPD into a elite Law Enforcement Agency.

Sarah Palin best accomplishment was being the Mayor of a town of 7000. Her greatest contribution as mayor was to create a $20 Million Deficit (for a town of only 7000 thats quite an accomplishment). Her tenure as Governor (18 months) is so short it can hardly be counted.

Politically they are worlds apart.

Teddy was a liberal on Domestic Policy with a few more conservative ideas on Foreign Policy. Sarah Palin took a extreme right wing turn several exits ago. Teddy had a reputation for openminded and determination, Sarah Palin could best be described as: Determined narrow-mindedness on most things, which is EXACTLY the same description as Bush.

Ever since he was a boy before politics Teddy traveled the world going as far as Africa and Europe (a big deal those days as travel was by Steamship) for months at a time.

Sarah Palin cliams to have visited these places outside the US.

A. Visiting Alaska National Guard Troops in Kuwait, the Iraq (which it turns out was a lie).
B. Ireland (which turned out to be a refueling stop) she never got off the plane.

Teddy hated Big Business and in particular the oil industry (Standard oil Company). Even though she has fought them on a few occasions, overall Palin has been a postergirl for the oil industry.

I could go on...

Last edited:
All I can think of is: why did she tell such an obvious lie about visiting Iraq? The same goes for Hillary and being under immediate threat of fire. Why are they so desperate to score PR-wise and have the whole thing back fire in their faces. If you chose to lie, bloody hell, then do it properly. Not some story that is so easily verifyable!

Comparing Sarah Palin to Teddy Roosevelt is just ridiculous.

First of all the comparison is mostly on personal traits not professional. Enjoying the outdoors, sportsman, hunter, parent, horseshoe thrower, is nice and all, but what does it have to do with running the country??? NOTHING!!!

As for experience Teddy was MUCH better qualified as the Governor of NY, the NYPD police commissioner, a state assemblyman for the 2nd largest state in the country. As a New Yorker I can tell you he was one of the better state politicians the state ever had. He completely recreated the corrupt joke that was the NYPD into a elite Law Enforcement Agency.

Sarah Palin best accomplishment was being the Mayor of a town of 7000. Her greatest contribution as mayor was to create a $20 Million Deficit (for a town of only 7000 thats quite an accomplishment). Her tenure as Governor (18 months) is so short it can hardly be counted.

Politically they are worlds apart.

Teddy was a liberal on Domestic Policy with a few more conservative ideas on Foreign Policy. Sarah Palin took a extreme right wing turn several exits ago. Teddy had a reputation for openminded and determination, Sarah Palin could best be described as: Determined narrow-mindedness on most things, which is EXACTLY the same description as Bush.

Ever since he was a boy before politics Teddy traveled the world going as far as Africa and Europe (a big deal those days as travel was by Steamship) for months at a time.

Sarah Palin cliams to have visited these places outside the US.

A. Visiting Alaska National Guard Troops in Kuwait, the Iraq (which it turns out was a lie).
B. Ireland (which turned out to be a refueling stop) she never got off the plane.

Teddy hated Big Business and in particular the oil industry (Standard oil Company). Even though she has fought them on a few occasions, overall Palin has been a postergirl for the oil industry.

I could go on...
Then I never want to read a statement using Barack Obama's tenure in the Senate coming from your username ever again. Double standard much?

Please go on MM. I would be very interested in your take on a comparison with Abe Lincoln's reception on his election to the post. Thank you.

As I understand it Abe Lincoln's isn't running this time around however in an effort to keep things on track I found this site...

http://www.obama-mccain.info/index-obama-mccain.php

I will not claim it is accurate but it does appear to at least be an attempt at a comparison of the two candidates.

Back