Air Force/ Pilot Questions!!!

DerK

1) Do most people who come out of the Air Force Academy become pilots?

2) If i want to become a pilot, but don't have the eyes or cannot take the G's, will they tell me I can't fly after i spend my years in service? before?

3) do those who try to be pilots but fail get put as mechanics, etc??

4) are the requirements to fly for the air force different then flying for the navy on a carrier?

5) do you have to be of a certain rank before you can fly?

6) how fast is the speed of sound in mph!?

please answer these!! thanks!!

I cant answer all of them, but i can answer some:

3) I doubt mechanics, because not many pilots are trained to repair aircraft and such [Though i guess they would have basic training for it incase of emergencies in enemy territory]

4) Yes, landing on aircraft carriers is much more difficult and dangerous compared to landing on a lovely airstrip in the outskirts of Novosibirsk.

6) The speed of sound in three different speed measurments:
- Mach 1 = Speed of sound
- 1200km/h = Speed of Sound
- 745.644 Mph = Speed of Sound [I used a converter, i dont use Mph.]

DerK, if you want to fly but you don't have the eyes for it, it's time to look elsewhere.
Think about it. Why should anyone risk putting you in a multi million dollar fighter jet when there are hundreds of other guys who can do a better job than you can and don't have any physical problems? You'll be a danger to yourself and those around you.

Although the USAF may operate differently from the Canadian Forces, I might be able to shed some light on a few of these questions.

1) There are many more trades in the Air Force than Pilot. Although a good number of USAFA Graduates go on to be pilots, there are many more who do other jobs.

2) As far as the eyes go, if it's anything like Canada, you'll find out when you do your Aircrew Medical, or the American equivalent. As for the G's...well, you'll find that out when you go through your training. If you can't hack it, then you'll be in line for another job.

3) Mechanics (properly called "Technicians") are an enlisted trade. Officers (and as a USAFA Grad, an Officer you shall be) who work with techs are in more of an administrative position than anything else. So no, you won't be a tech if you fail Flight Training. But, you can easily be slotted for another Air Force Officer job, ie: Air Defence, Air Traffic Control, Navigator, etc...

4) You'd have to compare the job qualifications from the respective websites or recruiters. I'm willing to bet that Naval Aviators have similar requirements to Air Force Pilots, but only at a basic level. Advanced training will obviously reflect the field.

5) You have to be an Officer. Right from 2Lt and on, you can fly. However, by the time you're finished all your flight training, you'll be well on your way to your Captains.

6) Although the actual speed of sound can change depending on the air temperature, a rough average would put it around 767 MPH.

Now, for most of these, I'm basing them on the USAF being similar to the CF. Clearly, there will be some differences, but I think I've about covered the basics. Any other questions, the best place to look is your local recruitment office.

thanks for all the help guys. im a junior in highschool right now so i still have time to think about what i want to do. i know that i want to fly, but im not very particular about it, (preferably anything with weapons =D). Im not sure which branch i want to join but i want to "play it safe" for example, if i KNOW that i meet the requirements to fly helicopters for the army then i would rather do that than take a chance with jets and be stuck watching the pilots hop into the cockpits! if anyone has any suggestions or anything please tell!!

thanks for all the help guys. im a junior in highschool right now so i still have time to think about what i want to do. i know that i want to fly, but im not very particular about it, (preferably anything with weapons =D). Im not sure which branch i want to join but i want to "play it safe" for example, if i KNOW that i meet the requirements to fly helicopters for the army then i would rather do that than take a chance with jets and be stuck watching the pilots hop into the cockpits! if anyone has any suggestions or anything please tell!!

I suggest that you thoroughly read what I posted above in post #3.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/want-pilot-aviator-t3222.html

yea i just went through that entire thread. it helped a little bit but mostly sparked mroe questions!! i guess my #1 question would be this:

-I don't care what i fly as long as its got lots of guns on it (helicopters, jets, attack planes, etc)... what branch is the easiest to fly for?? both physically, mentally, etc

Well, fighter planes dont always fly around shooting each other down, you know. And most planes have roughly the same amount of missile hardpoints [10-14]

yea i just went through that entire thread. it helped a little bit but mostly sparked mroe questions!! i guess my #1 question would be this:

-I don't care what i fly as long as its got lots of guns on it (helicopters, jets, attack planes, etc)... what branch is the easiest to fly for?? both physically, mentally, etc

Easiest answer:

None.

All of the branches have their own challenges to face, each of which can put on just as much mental and physical stress as any of the other branches.

hmmm i see what ur saying.. i guess if it comes down to choosing between the branches i will probably choose army. at least if im not able to fly there are a lot of other things that interest me there.. although the air force has some other sweet jobs that i wouldnt mind either.. this is too hard!!!!:biggun:

6) The speed of sound in three different speed measurments:
- Mach 1 = Speed of sound
- 1200km/h = Speed of Sound
- 745.644 Mph = Speed of Sound [I used a converter, i dont use Mph.]

Dont want to be pedantic, but the speed of sound varies with air density and air temperature (and of cause with the medium, I assume air just for this post; it is e.g. different in helium...).

General Rule: At sea level and 20 degrees Centigrade (down with Farenheit! :9mm:) and in air it is c = 343 m/s = 1234,8 km/h

Rattler

haha thanks for the help. but does anyone have suggestions as to what i should do? nothing has helped me decide really =/

i also have a question to add here
i was really interested in becoming a heli pilot and tore up air force/navy/coast guard websites for info a few months back
anyway i read pilots need perfect teeth because fillings pop at altitude in an unpressurized cabin or something like that
can anyone confirm this?
also does it happen in pressurized cabins?
i have many fillings and reading that shat on my dream..

haha thanks for the help. but does anyone have suggestions as to what i should do? nothing has helped me decide really =/

It is enormously difficult to make suggestions to a young man about a possible career path in the military, as only you know your passions. It's not that we don't WANT to help. It's just that what you're asking is little different than a man asking what he should study in college.

It has already been stated that NONE of the branches offer anything less than the utmost in challenge in any chosen MOS (Military Occupational Specialty; what you do in the military). This is particularly true with pilots, as the physical and mental standards are strict are demanding. They'll let a Private drive a $60-million tank, but only an officer can fly a $100,000 helicopter. Think about that, lol.

Still, it goes without saying that the selection process is MUCH tougher to fly an FA-18 than it is to fly a C-130 than it is to fly an AH-47 than it is to fly a Huey. Same thing in other MOS's as well: They are ALL Infantry, but a Bradley driver, an Army Ranger and Special Forces share almost nothing in common but that Infantry rope. A doctor and a medic. CID versus MP.

You get the point.

What do you call an officer that graduated last in class?

Sir.

So, here's MY personal suggestion to you:

What is it that YOU want to do versus what reality states as your qualifications to be successful and happy while doing it?

If you meet the qualifications to fly an FA-18 and you want to fly an FA-18, then go to the training. If you "settle" for a UH-60 Blackhawk because you're scared you'll wash out of anything more stringent, then you'll always wonder if you COULD have flown that FA-18. You don't know unless you try, to borrow the cliche'. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars" (B. Lattrell).

If you meet the qualifications to fly an FA-18 and you want to fly an FA-18, then go to the training. If you "settle" for a UH-60 Blackhawk because you're scared you'll wash out of anything more stringent, then you'll always wonder if you COULD have flown that FA-18. You don't know unless you try, to borrow the cliche'. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars" (B. Lattrell).

Used to be a joke our FAC's would tell.

Do you know what an FA-18 is?

Uhhh what sir?

A fictional aircraft used to recruit future CH-53 pilots.

Joke being that there were more Helo drivers than Fighter Jocks. So not everybody could be in fast movers.

That aside my youngest brother was AFROTC in college. He wanted more than anything to fly F15's. He got flight school........for C130 Hercules. still do it on the reserve side and loves it.

It is enormously difficult to make suggestions to a young man about a possible career path in the military, as only you know your passions. It's not that we don't WANT to help. It's just that what you're asking is little different than a man asking what he should study in college.

It has already been stated that NONE of the branches offer anything less than the utmost in challenge in any chosen MOS (Military Occupational Specialty; what you do in the military). This is particularly true with pilots, as the physical and mental standards are strict are demanding. They'll let a Private drive a $60-million tank, but only an officer can fly a $100,000 helicopter. Think about that, lol.

Still, it goes without saying that the selection process is MUCH tougher to fly an FA-18 than it is to fly a C-130 than it is to fly an AH-47 than it is to fly a Huey. Same thing in other MOS's as well: They are ALL Infantry, but a Bradley driver, an Army Ranger and Special Forces share almost nothing in common but that Infantry rope. A doctor and a medic. CID versus MP.

You get the point.

What do you call an officer that graduated last in class?

Sir.

So, here's MY personal suggestion to you:

What is it that YOU want to do versus what reality states as your qualifications to be successful and happy while doing it?

well as much as u were telling me you guys wouldnt be able to help, this actually helped a lot, thanks a ton.

Used to be a joke our FAC's would tell.

Do you know what an FA-18 is?

Uhhh what sir?

A fictional aircraft used to recruit future CH-53 pilots.

Joke being that there were more Helo drivers than Fighter Jocks. So not everybody could be in fast movers.

That aside my youngest brother was AFROTC in college. He wanted more than anything to fly F15's. He got flight school........for C130 Hercules. still do it on the reserve side and loves it.

now did your brother go to flight school wanting to be an f-15 pilot and they told him he could fly the hercules, or did they stop him BEFORE attending flight school, but he decided to go train for the hercules.. in other words, did he decide to fly it or did they tell him after entering flight school that thats all he could fly?? thats my biggest fear.. going through with all the training (or most of it) to find out that im not able to do it

Back