Action on Zimbabwe

If a suitable and friendly staging point could be found, very. That is not the problem as the US have found in Iraq. Taking is one thing, holding... well that is something very different. It would have to be quick, in and out but that again is what the US thought in Iraq.

Best made plans of mice and men.

I do not believe that Zim military are very motivated, fed, armed or have sufficient ammo, fuel or logistics as a whole to wage a war. In fact, I am pretty sure they do not.

I think the problem would be the friendly staging ground, and actually getting out quick without leaving the country in a total bloody mess.

Wether or not the Zim military are capable of fighting a continued war is not the problem, rather what they create of authrosities towards the civilians while actually fighting... :(

We have so many anti American folks in the USA that don't even like it when we do combat with folks that attacked us, I don't see them liking it much for us to do it to folks that didn't attack us yet.

Yes it's like that now.
It's sad but it's the truth. Any intervention of any kind is political suicide for any president. So it won't happen.

I would have to venture that beside our government’s very negative support for anything anti Zim, the real fact of the matter is that MADgabe’s goose is pretty well cooked. China need the G8 because of the Olympics and will not Veto, Russia really does not care but are only trying to score points with the West therefore seem to be holding out but they will not Veto when it comes to the vote.

So, of the Veto counties, I believe no-one will veto. As for the rest, I think only we will vote against (in the pretence that we are still negotiating with the bunch of baboons and therefore sanctions are premature) the latest Security Council Resolution. This, I think is only the beginning.

MADgabe has 2 million % (yes you read right, some say maybe 3 mil %) inflation and is continually being side-lined by all and sundry. He has already sold the family silver to Libya and China and has nothing left to sell. The land has already been distributed to his henchmen and here too he has nothing more to give. Now we only have to stop Western Banks (here I mean Barclays) from extending credit to him. I think the new resolution will do this.

He can no longer pay the police, the armed forces or prison staff which has formed the backbone of his regime. The teacher and doctors are not paid. A police/army that is not being paid is a very dangerous thing !!

A coup is not what is required, nor a government of National Unity. Just wait and see what will happen in Kenya in the long run.

Invasion (would be great to see) will be unnecessary. Unfortunately, the killings and beating will go on unabated in the short term but maybe this is the only way.

Well, here is hoping.

Well Russia and China has kicked all the agreement out of the UN window, So what next, do you think that the west should once again step in and sort out this mess while China and Russia sit on the side lines causing even more trouble. I still think that Africa should sort it out, he is there hero and in their eyes he can do wrong. Eventually this will spill over the borders and they will have to do some thing. I am sorry for the ordinary Zimbabweans but if they can fight for independance surely they can fight to get rid of a dictator

................ eventually this will spill over the borders and they will have to do something

It already has, you may have read about our (RSA) last bate of xenophobia. A few dead and many, many displaced, some still living in camps. I can tell you, it is not the last you will hear of this matter.

WRT Zim, they are “negotiating” at the moment. Now that UN is divided, it will give emphasis for MADgabe to dig his heels in. Time is not on his side. It is also clear that the country in being run by a military cabal. MADgabe will get Presidential immunity, they will not and have the most to loose.

For the record, the news here today are reporting inflation is now at 9 million % (yip you read right). They are also reporting that there are talks about talks but nothing firm as yet.

Not sure anyone can understand that rate but what costs 1,00 USD today, will cost 24657,53 USD tomorrow.

The economy will be his Waterloo.

Well Russia and China has kicked all the agreement out of the UN window, So what next, do you think that the west should once again step in and sort out this mess while China and Russia sit on the side lines causing even more trouble. I still think that Africa should sort it out, he is there hero and in their eyes he can do wrong. Eventually this will spill over the borders and they will have to do some thing. I am sorry for the ordinary Zimbabweans but if they can fight for independance surely they can fight to get rid of a dictator

Normally I would feel sorry for the ordinary Zimbabwean but to be honest they don't seem overly enthusiastic about doing anything for themselves so I am not entirely sure why anyone else should.

As far as Russia and China goes their actions are just plain bizarre but its just another reason the UN should dispose of the veto system.

Zim inflation a runaway train
16/07/2008 14:07 - (SA)
tsp.gif
EU may provide Zim lifeline
Zim dollar hits new record low
Still no hope for Zim's economy
tsp.gif
tsp.gif
tsp.gif

Harare - The annual rate of inflation in Zimbabwe, already the highest in the world, has hit a new high of 2.2 million percent, the central bank's governor revealed on Wednesday.
"Statistics provided by the CSO (central statistical office) indicate that it is now at 2.2 (million percent)," Gideon Gono said in a brief address in Harare ahead of a speech by veteran President Robert Mugabe.
The figure is the first from the authorities in Zimbabwe since the announcement of the rate for February, when it was put at around 165 000%.
The head of the CSO, Moffat Nyoni, confirmed the figure but said it was only a rough barometer as it was based on limited data.
"We can confirm that is the figure we have given to... users, but that is not the sort of data we would normally publish with confidence because it was not based on the sort of information we would normally use," Nyoni said.
"The information was based on fewer observations than we would be confident with due to scarcities.
"However, with the information we have managed to obtain, this is the rate of inflation." - SAPA

This is offical rate, the real rate is as per my mail of 2 days back.

Economists say that Zimbabwe's economy is heading for a crash, as inflation soars to new heights. Gono said Wednesday inflation was now at 2.2 million percent, although analysts estimate it at ten times that - and the Zimbabwe dollar is plunging to new lows.
$Zim70bn for US$1 A single US dollar bill was trading on Wednesday at Zim$70bn, down (from the Zimbabwe perspective), from Zim$45bn late last week.
The end is near :bang::bang:

I don't think it is the veto that presents the problem within the security council. The problem is the UN itself - what it has become. This has concerned me for some time, as I have often posted on these boards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034757/We-expect-justice-UN--club-tyranny-corruption.html

Mugabe is a disgrace. He has been a disgrace for decades. But he's just another little dictator clinging to power like the blood sucking leech he is. I believe I dont like Mugabe. But the real problem is an ineffective U.N.. China and Russia have a good thing going with arms sales to the world's hoods. And when those sales appear threatened, out comes the veto. I would like to see the Western World leave the U.N. and reform NATO for their own collective body. If anybody else wants to join, they must abide by the rules and no veto's.

A Nato intervention in Zimbabwe would be a good thing for the people of Zimbabwe. But because there is nothing really of interest to the west in this country, it is ignored. One has only to remember the horror of Rwanda to understand how power is used on the dark continent. The guy and usually the tribe with the big stick calls the shots. And to make matters worse, there is usually a whole string of other abberations to go along. Such as superstition, centuries of ennmity and myth. This usually leads to ethnic cleansing and no part of the world is immune to it. The UN will never allow troops to be sent to Zimbabwe. China's arms sales to the country will continue because of China's veto. The Putin dictatorship will also veto any attempt to get Mugabe out. This leaves NATO as the only body of countries around with enough power to do something. Will we? Or are we just full of hot air as usual.

Back