ACLU and 'friends' are endangering U.S. troops

August 28th, 2005  
phoenix80

Topic: ACLU and 'friends' are endangering U.S. troops

Bill O'Reilly
Syndicated Columnist

Every time I turn around, another anti-war person is saying how much he or she "supports" the troops. No matter how vicious the attack on the policy in Iraq or the Afghanistan situation or the proactive strategy to confront worldwide terror, it always seems there's a "support the troops" caveat at the end of the blistering dissent. OK, fine, opposing the Iraq war doesn't mean disrespect for the military, that's true. But the benefit of the doubt only goes so far. Now there's a litmus test, a way to expose the folks who really don't support the troops no matter what they tell you.

As you may know, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is demanding the release of all Abu Ghraib photographs and videotapes, and any other damning evidence of prisoner abuse by the American military. The ACLU filed suit last year, and the case is now coming to a head in New York City.

Gen. Richard Myers, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified in front of the judge that any further public exposition of prisoner abuse could endanger the lives of U.S. and allied troops.

Of course Myers is right, and the Newsweek Quran fiasco proved it. Loony Muslims rampaged in a number of countries after that magazine falsely reported the holy book had been abused at Guantanamo Bay. At least 15 people were killed, hundreds injured.

Myers, himself, has seen the abuse images that have not been made public and says: "the release (of them) would aid the recruitment efforts and other activities of insurgent elements, weaken the new democratic governments of Iraq and Afghanistan ... and increase the likelihood of violence against the United States interests, personnel, and citizens worldwide."

But the ACLU does not care what Myers thinks - it wants to embarrass the Bush administration, and if people die because of that, tough.

This despicable attitude is being enabled by some interesting ACLU allies. In a "friend-of-the-court" brief, CBS, NBC, The New York Times and a few other media outfits urged the judge to reject Myers' argument and dump 87 Abu Ghraib photos and four videos into the public square.

An action of this type would have been unthinkable during World War II. But, today, the media operates outside patriotic constraints or even public safety considerations.

What is the point of more Abu Ghraib pictures? We all know what happened there, how dismal and inexcusable it was. If the pictures advanced the story, I could understand, but this is just more of the same, according to Gen. Myers and his staff. And in a time of war, you give the benefit of any doubt to the top military commander, don't you?

The mainstream media, on the whole, has consistently underestimated the danger America is facing from the Islama-fascists. Most press outlets supported John Kerry for president when the senator could not articulate a single strategy to fight the enemy other than enlisting the help of France and going to his website. That's why Kerry lost. He had absolutely no war plan.

The elite media don't have one, either. They love the Abu Ghraib story, the chaos in Iraq, the resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan, the "abuses" at Guantanamo Bay. They run with those stories all day long.

But ask them how they would protect Americans from killers who obey no rules, who believe Allah wants them to murder babies, who are willing to die themselves while slaughtering innocent civilians - and you get blather about the "international community" and "constitutional rights."

The truth is that the ACLU and its "friends" don't care if they help the jihadists and don't know how to defeat the enemy. Those who are demanding more abuse pictures are not supporting the troops and are not looking out for everyday Americans. They are putting our fighting people and U.S. civilians in even more danger. And there is no excuse for doing that.

Bill O'Reilly can be reached by writing 5777 West Century Blvd., Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90045, attn: Bill O'Reilly.

http://heraldnet.com/stories/05/08/2...oreilly001.cfm
August 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

O'Reilly is a shitty moralist and domestic policy theorists, but he has a pretty good head when it comes to America's foreign policy direction IMHO.
August 28th, 2005  
Rabs

I like O'reilly. But im a big Micheal Savage fan if anybody knows him.
--
August 28th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Yeah... i've heard of Micheal Savage *thunder* *horses scream*
August 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Sorry, but I've heard Michael Savage's show enough to know he is a nut job.
August 28th, 2005  
Missileer

Here's what the American Legion had to say at the National convention in Hawaii. This may tell you something you don't know.

Legion Addresses ACLU Legal Abuse

HONOLULU, August 24, 2005 - Delegates to the nation’s largest wartime veterans organization meeting here during their 87th annual national convention forged their solidarity against legal abuse and secular cleansing of American family values and religious symbols by the ACLU and other organizations.

Four thousand delegates representing 2.7 million members unanimously passed Resolution 139 that calls upon Congress to amend the practice of using taxpayer-funded attorney fees by claims under the Equal Access to Justice.
“The 1976 Civil Rights Attorney’s Fee Awards Act was much needed legislation, but in recent years, certain groups have abused the congressional intent of this public law in ‘Establishment Clause’ lawsuits against the Boy Scouts of America, the Ten Commandments, and now veterans’ memorials, ” said Thomas P. Cadmus, National Commander of The American Legion. “And it’s time to fix it!”

“Exorbitant attorney fees awarded by Courts to be paid by American taxpayers has become the newest ‘Sword of Damocles’ strategically employed by organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to coerce settlements by cities, counties, states, and large organizations like the Boy Scouts of America and the Department of Defense by suits and threats of lawsuits against any public expression of America’s religious history, heritage, and values,” Cadmus said. “When out-of-court settlements are more cost effective than the judicial process, then the system is clearly broken.”
Cadmus lauded the introduction of HR 2679, the Public Expression of Religion Act (PERA), by Rep. John Hostettler and urged all Americans to strongly support this long overdue legislation.

Long time civil rights attorney Rees Lloyd spoke to the delegation earlier in the day on what he calls the ACLU’s aggressive “secular cleansing of our America heritage through the elimination of our religious symbols and our core values of decency, citizenship and Americanism.”

Lloyd, a past commander of American Legion San Gorgonio Post 448 in Banning, Calif., worked for the ACLU at one time and is very familiar with how the ACLU’s mind-set and litigation strategies work.

“Using taxpayers’ dollars to pay these court-ordered attorney fees, especially when attacking established, traditional American values is absurd,” Lloyd said. “The list of victims continues to grow - Los Angeles County, the cities of San Diego and Redlands in California, the school boards in Chicago, Ill., and Portland, Or. the Village of Castleton, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Department of Defense, Ten Commandments cases in Kentucky, Texas, and Alabama, and even a Veterans’ Memorial in the Mojave Desert. Who will be the next victim?

“When the mere threat of attorney’s fee is so severe that large organizations fear the consequences, then imagine the power and chilling effect it has on local elected officials faced with the threat of court-ordered, taxpayer-paid attorney fees if they do not surrender to ACLU demands to cease sponsorship of Boy Scouts, or to destroy religious symbols like the Ten Commandments,” Lloyd said.
August 29th, 2005  
phoenix80

missileer do you have a link for this article?
August 29th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_aim54
missileer do you have a link for this article?
Yes, here it is.

http://www.legion.org/

This is the press release.
http://www.legion.org/?section=pub_r...release&id=307

This is how the taxpayer pays for their activities.
August 31st, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
I love O'Reilly, he really brightens up my day.

For example:

"I won a peabody" incident
"Bill O'Reilly the Combat Vet" incident
"Paris Business Review" fiasco
His "wholly without merit" lawsuit against Al Franken.

And of course, I REALLY enjoy the lessons in 'morals' from a guy whose co-worker accuses him of sexual harassement. Reminds me of another 'morals' hypocrite who says drug users should be in jail!

The first time ever I agreed with Limbaugh.

Savage doesn't have O'Reilly's ability to make me laugh, he's just a homophobic nutcase with a nasty streak in him.
August 31st, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Quote:
I love O'Reilly, he really brightens up my day.

For example:

"I won a peabody" incident
"Bill O'Reilly the Combat Vet" incident
"Paris Business Review" fiasco
His "wholly without merit" lawsuit against Al Franken.

And of course, I REALLY enjoy the lessons in 'morals' from a guy whose co-worker accuses him of sexual harassement. Reminds me of another 'morals' hypocrite who says drug users should be in jail!

The first time ever I agreed with Limbaugh.

Savage doesn't have O'Reilly's ability to make me laugh, he's just a homophobic nutcase with a nasty streak in him.
Would you at least say his endeavor to get the Jessica Lunsford act going to be nobel? Or did his perversion void everything?

O'reilly certainly has his vices, especially his arrogance....

So criticism is probably warranted, but how thick you layed it on.... it looks pretty over zealous, ignorant.