9th Grader Dies After Being Shot In Back Of Head

http://www.whnt.com/whnt-school-shooting-020510,0,6091169.story

Guys... This happened at MY old middle school... This one's really hit home for me. I'm good friends with the SRO (school resource officer) who detained the shooter...

I'm all for concealed carry on college campuses, but what do you do about middle schools? The response of the students and administrators was amazing. Less than two minutes from the time of the shot to the time of first care.

Teachers should be allowed to be armed.
Then there's going to be some psycho teacher who shoots up his own class. Or maybe if the teacher's armed, the kids will be quiet for a change.
I thought 9th grade was high school.

I could try and foster debate by saying that this appears to be a random shooting and as such it is probably worth evaluating the actual threat before handing out guns upon enrollment alternatively I could go with a story about how fire requires three elements, heat, oxygen and fuel now I am pretty sure that you need to remove one to put the fire out.

I have no idea why people keep bringing these topics here looking for answers and then ignoring the only one that will actually work, the fact is that while weapons are available to people in great numbers you will have shootings if you want to reduce shootings remove the weapon, now before people start rattling on about the 2nd Amendment I understand you do not wish to fix the problem therefore my advice is learn to live with it because in the end it is no skin off my nose if you guys want to embrace the civilised worlds highest gun related death rate.

Here in Madison City, we have K-6 in elementary school, 7-9 in middle, and 10-12 in high school.

Monty... I guess that's why I'm for stricter gun control. But I appreciate your concern about the whole situation... Who was going to "rattle on" about the 2nd Amendment? I'm anti-guns, not pro-guns... *******.

Rob, tell your SRO friend he's in my church's prayers.

Events like this are terrible, yes. But it started somewhere before it got this far. Was the student bullied? Was the student mentally ill? What about family life? Was the student abused? Physically, verbally, mentally, sexually or any combination of those?

I'll certainly let him know. He's pretty shaken up. They're having a replacement come in so he can have some time off.

Hmm, they're being VERY hush hush about the whole thing right now. Haven't even *officially* released the shooter's name... The word on the street is gang-related activity.

Events like this are terrible, yes. But it started somewhere before it got this far.

How about when the gun came into the house? I am with Monty on this one and it seems that the usual pro-gun lobby is unusually silent about this case... Ah well, we'll talk further after the next shooting, which won't be too long from now...

Why not blame the gun? Obviously it went berserk & started shooting. Melt it down & that problem is solved!

The problem being that if firearms are freely available, the emotionally immature and unstable members of our society can easily use them.

Yes,... i know, there's little hope of ever keeping them out of the hands of criminals, but if you look carefully the greatest proportion of the "tragic" killings are not done by career criminals, but the temporarily or more permanently unstable members of our society.

Actually, if you melted the gun down, it WOULD have solved the problem, and Todd Brown would still be alive, and might one day be able to drive a car, go to prom, maybe even graduate from high school... But as it is, his life was ended 14 years into it.

Gunds don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people. Since axes have been used to kill people, why not ban them as well? Chain saws? You got it! Cars?

Yep, cars. Cars have been tools to kill people. So lets ban cars.
Aircraft too.
And boats.
And rocks.
And......

The age old argument, Hmm... Why not just search for gun control in the political forums and just re-read the debates?

Guns are specifically created for killing. Cars... Not. Aircraft (non-military, of course) not. Boats... Not. Rocks... Not... And... (...) Not.

The age old argument, Hmm... Why not just search for gun control in the political forums and just re-read the debates?

Guns are specifically created for killing. Cars... Not. Aircraft (non-military, of course) not. Boats... Not. Rocks... Not... And... (...) Not.
Might be better to study the break down of society, morals, respect for Laws & life, ect in the modern world. Disarming the whole population because of a small number of miscreants only leaves the People unarmed & defenceless in the War on Crime.

Again, we could just look up the old threads on any gun related topics and re-read them.

I'm curious though, does this mean you believe children should be able to conceal carry in their middle schools?

Again, we could just look up the old threads on any gun related topics and re-read them.

I'm curious though, does this mean you believe children should be able to conceal carry in their middle schools?

Actually he is right, you will solve more by understanding the problem than you will by just destroying firearms.

If you can reduce (you can never eliminate this problem) the reasons people feel that shooting someone else is a good idea then you will reduce the instances of it happening, part of the solution may be a form of gun control or it may be some form of social change or a little of both but until you actually decide to try and fix the problem rather than telling the world every time it is a tragedy and then doing nothing about it you will solve nothing.

If Rob wants he can always look at the correlation between guns and crime. Explain why all the American cities and foreign countries that have absolutel gun control also have the highest crime rates. Yet when Obama was voted in and gun purchases sky rocketed, crime dropped.

Actually he is right, you will solve more by understanding the problem than you will by just destroying firearms.

If you can reduce (you can never eliminate this problem) the reasons people feel that shooting someone else is a good idea then you will reduce the instances of it happening, part of the solution may be a form of gun control or it may be some form of social change or a little of both but until you actually decide to try and fix the problem rather than telling the world every time it is a tragedy and then doing nothing about it you will solve nothing.
Then tell me, Monty, what do you suggest we do? How can we go about reducing the reasons people shoot other people? Because if you can answer that in an implementable form, I'll elect you Supreme Leader of the World TOMORROW.

Hmm... You just made my point for me... Absolute gun control. I'm not advocating absolute gun control. I never have, and I never will. Read my original post. The only reason I agreed about the gun being melted down was to be sarcastic against his sarcastic post. What infuriates me about this situation is the fact that a 14 year old boy was able to gain ACCESS to this weapon. Not that it was in the house, not that he knew how to use it, but the fact that he was able to get it without parental supervision and actually kill someone with it. THAT'S the type of gun control I want. Education. Safety. NOT abstinence. NOT ignorance.

Back