1945 airshow with captured german a/c




 
--
 
August 12th, 2014  
George
 

Topic: 1945 airshow with captured german a/c


link Don't know if this has been posted before.
August 12th, 2014  
BritinAfrica
 
 
I couldn't open it George.
August 12th, 2014  
brinktk
 
 
me either
--
August 12th, 2014  
George
 
.... it works for me now!
August 12th, 2014  
JOC
 
 

Topic: German Technology


They sure gave the US a boost into the sciences - engineering fields of aerodynamics and rocketry. Interesting they got a Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet.
Fortunately these developments came to little to late and ended up benefited us more than Germany.
Although the many thousands killed in England by the V weapons and allied pilots shot down by the ME-262 are still a tragedy.
August 21st, 2014  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
They sure gave the US a boost into the sciences - engineering fields of aerodynamics and rocketry. Interesting they got a Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet.
Fortunately these developments came to little to late and ended up benefited us more than Germany.
Although the many thousands killed in England by the V weapons and allied pilots shot down by the ME-262 are still a tragedy.
I am less convinced about German technical superiority than I have ever been, certainly the V2 was impressive but out side of that much of their technology was pointless (for example the Goliath remote control tank that had a nasty habit of doing a U-turn on the battlefield and detonating back where it started).

There was nothing overly special about the V1, Jet engines had been around since the mid to late 1930s and in terms of rocketry Russia was at least a match for the Germans.
August 22nd, 2014  
VDKMS
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I am less convinced about German technical superiority than I have ever been, certainly the V2 was impressive but out side of that much of their technology was pointless (for example the Goliath remote control tank that had a nasty habit of doing a U-turn on the battlefield and detonating back where it started).

There was nothing overly special about the V1, Jet engines had been around since the mid to late 1930s and in terms of rocketry Russia was at least a match for the Germans.
here's a nice article about that:
German superiority, myth or fact?
August 23rd, 2014  
MontyB
 
 
I sort of agree with the post but I think one thing it over looks is German tactics, they were clearly better than most of the militaries they faced until 1943 and even until the end of the war the German soldier showed far more initiative that most of those he faced.

I would also partially disagree with the logistical argument as the Germans were adept at moving units around to where they were most needed had their logistics not been up to spec I do not believe they could have achieved this, I think were it all fell down was not at the coal face but rather the political level which left them with excess models of vehicles, aircraft and infantry weapons to maintain supplies for.
September 6th, 2014  
sandwichery
 
 
Good post. The aircraft that caught my eye was the USAAF's "Dominator". Hadn't realized that any made it to Europe.
September 6th, 2014  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichery
Good post. The aircraft that caught my eye was the USAAF's "Dominator". Hadn't realized that any made it to Europe.
Seen another version of this previously, think this is in Ohio.
 


Similar Topics
If The World Treated WW2 Like the War On Terrorism!
"Tommy's Dictionary Of The Trenches" WWI
Germany the guardian of peace
Funny Fact
Allied war crimes during WW II ?