Thoughts on the Russo-Ukranian War?

To be honest I don't think at this stage the number of dead matters as much as the number of maimed as these will need treatment and support for the next 30-50 years and that will tax the Russian economy especially since many of them will never be contributing members of that economy.

If there is (as reported) 350k dead then the rule of thumb there has to be about 1 million wounded, this will be a huge drain on the economy.
Girlfriends and wives of Russian soldiers are protesting, they want their men back home. Women were the ones who contributed to end the Soviet war in Afghanistan.

Girlfriends and wives of Russian soldiers are protesting, they want their men back home. Women were the ones who contributed to end the Soviet war in Afghanistan.
Until they are the wives and girlfriends of wealthy Muscovites or other major western Russian cities Putin doesn't care, right now it is the smaller backward parts and they have no power whatsoever.

Until they are the wives and girlfriends of wealthy Muscovites or other major western Russian cities Putin doesn't care, right now it is the smaller backward parts and they have no power whatsoever.
True, but it needs to begin somewhere and their elite forces have suffered severe casualties and they have also relatives.

We will probably see the T34s before any reactions in the Kreml

Not sure how much sway they have or how many supporter's they represent.

Good new Russia has a submarine, this is one of the best videos I have seen so far on the incident and certainly worth a look as it debunks a lot of the Russian denials and propaganda that go with it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The South Koreans are supplying indirectly Ukraine with more munition than all the EU countries combined. They are probably the Ukrainians savior at the moment.

The South Koreans are supplying indirectly Ukraine with more munition than all the EU countries combined. They are probably the Ukrainians savior at the moment.

It would be nice to see Japan throwing a bit more Ukraine's way as they have decent stockpiles and manufacturing capacity, although I am guessing they are building towards the upcoming war with China.

I get the impression Israel is a bit of a paper tiger as they seem to barely have enough munitions to deal with Hamas and Hezbollah who are hardly military powerhouses.

It would be nice to see Japan throwing a bit more Ukraine's way as they have decent stockpiles and manufacturing capacity, although I am guessing they are building towards the upcoming war with China.

I get the impression Israel is a bit of a paper tiger as they seem to barely have enough munitions to deal with Hamas and Hezbollah who are hardly military powerhouses.
But can they do that? Japan has pretty strict laws about deploying forces abroad. The solution is to do what the South Koreans do, exporting things to the US first.

Israel has historically been dependent on its air force to deal with their foes. That doesn't work so well against Hamas and Hezbollah when they aren't launching mass armored forces against Israel.

But can they do that? Japan has pretty strict laws about deploying forces abroad. The solution is to do what the South Koreans do, exporting things to the US first.

Israel has historically been dependent on its air force to deal with their foes. That doesn't work so well against Hamas and Hezbollah when they aren't launching mass armored forces against Israel.
If or more to the point when China attacks Taiwan, Japan will have little option but join the US in it defence if only as a large supply base for allied forces, I suspect South Korea will be too busy preparing for North Korea to try and totter south supporting Chinese operations.

Russia has lost a lot high ranked officers during this war.

I read the Ukrainians are now finding parts of North Korean missiles.

I am intrigued, any theories as to what Ukraine used to shoot down the Russian AWAC?
Most seem to be suggesting the Patriot system but unless the set it up in frontline trench the model the Ukrainians have doesn't have the range.

I am intrigued, any theories as to what Ukraine used to shoot down the Russian AWAC?
Most seem to be suggesting the Patriot system but unless the set it up in frontline trench the model the Ukrainians have doesn't have the range.
I read about it yesterday and I doubt the Ukrainians shot down Russian AWACS planes. Maybe cargo planes, but not AWACS. The latter tend to stay on high altitudes and on a distance from enemy air space. A Patriot missile can reach high altitudes, but why would an AWACS fly in over Ukrainian territory so it can be reach by a Patriot? It doesn't make any sense. If the Ukrainians shot down AWACS planes, I would guess they did it with a fighter plane

I read about it yesterday and I doubt the Ukrainians shot down Russian AWACS planes. Maybe cargo planes, but not AWACS. The latter tend to stay on high altitudes and on a distance from enemy air space. A Patriot missile can reach high altitudes, but why would an AWACS fly in over Ukrainian territory so it can be reach by a Patriot? It doesn't make any sense. If the Ukrainians shot down AWACS planes, I would guess they did it with a fighter plane
Even the Russians have said it was an A-50 AWAC shot down over the Sea of Azov and an IL-22 Command aircraft damaged, they however claim it was lost to friendly fire.

Also looks like Norway is getting in on the ammunition production industry...

It might have been flying tank turrets that hit the AWACS planes.

They can have been hit by friendly fire. The Russian shot down a Dutch airliner a few years ago so they might have done it again

Back