• Athlete

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not athlete

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sooners1

I was watching "Around The Clock" and came up with this one:

Are WWE wrestlers athletes?

The reason this came up is because one WWE superstar (Brock Lesnar) has signed a contract to play for the Minnesota Vikings (NFL) this year. It is bein said that he is not an athlete and will not be able to cut it in the NFL.

i think that they are just muscle bound actors... the really don't need any kind of endurance just be able to oil themselves down and blow hot air. and yeah plus it is scripted!!!

Basically your sayin that it would be easy for anyone in any condition to do all the things they do in a ring for 15 minutes or longer? If you can call a gymnast an athlete then why not a pro wrestler?

because when a gymnist COMPETES the ending isn't scripted... if you took these men and women put them in a football or bowling or soccer uniform made them compete using skill and now knowing the outcome then they would be athletes instead of actors... that is where the line is drawn. take a gymnist oil him or her down put her in the script and she is an actor now not a gymnist... it works both ways.

I am going to say no

I believe an athlete is someone who competes against other people and gives it their all. In sports, athletes hold nothing back as they try to win. I cannot call someone who participates in a scripted act an athlete. Yes, wrestlers are athletic and as strong as an ox, but they do not compete like swimmers, football players, runners ect do.

Now if you are talking about wrestling in high school, college and the olympics, then I consider wrestlers to be athletes

This is what the Merriam-Webster Dictionary describes as an athlete:

Main Entry: ath·lete
Pronunciation: 'ath-"lEt, ÷'a-th&-"lEt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlEtEs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

Whether or not the what they do has a foreseeable outcome, they still have to train and have some skills to do what they are doin.

You need to be quite athletic to be able to perform some of the things the wrestlers do. Even though MOST of the outcomes are scripted, the things these guys do in the ring can get pretty real. (Power bombs and whatnot DO hurt, trust me)

Back