Where's My Gas Mask?!

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
AFTER being issued basic combat training equipment at Fort Ord, Calif., we were warned that gas masks were frequently lost, and that we would be charged $65 for a replacement. Determined not to lose mine, I developed the habit of hitting its case with my elbow as we marched, to ensure that the mask was safely inside.

Near the end of training, we made a final check of our masks before ascending to the test chamber. I elbowed my gas-mask case and panicked when I realized it was empty. "Drill Sergeant!" I yelled, jumping out of formation. "I lost my gas mask!"

"Get back in line!" he bellowed. "It's on your head!"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Jared T. Garfield

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Heck, Put my cover on my head when I walked outside, went tearing back into the shop looking for it. Spent 5 minutes before I realized it was in my hand (took it off after coming back indoors).

Marinerhodes said:
Heck, Put my cover on my head when I walked outside, went tearing back into the shop looking for it. Spent 5 minutes before I realized it was in my hand (took it off after coming back indoors).

Hahaha. Yeah just like my mom desperately looking for her glasses while actually wearing them.

Marinerhodes said:

Thats a good Marine you even took it off out of habbit!

Back