What firewall do you have?

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Do you know what a firewall is? Do you have one? What firewall are you using?
I am using Zone Alarm Pro and I pass all the tests of Gibson Research website.

At home I run Outpost which is a good freeware firewall that suits my needs for my humble usage. On my laptop I have Norton which works okay.

Besides set up behind my hacked linksys and the XP firewall I dont really use one and havent had any problems....Safe computing and keeping up to date on updates is more important then anything else...In fact a lot of security experts believe in wide open ideas as in you hang your machine out there and deal with problems dynamically....

When you start to rely on software and firewalls you tend to get careless...However if you really want a bad ass firewall take an old machine and throw smoothwall on it, the best firewalls are going to be hardware versus software....

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Im with Donkey, I dont have a firewall...but then again if I did I'm not sure I could get internet. I have a wireless connection, but for some reason my computer can't pick up our signal from downstairs, yet I get about four other signals from neighbors. Currently I'm on linksys :)

The best firewalls are hardware firewalls. I wouldn't be just relying on just software firewalls if I were some of you. All software can be hacked or exploited. A hardware firewall is more secure. Netgear and Dlink are good options. The best solution of course is create a DMZ, (two firewalls linked together seperating the Internet from the PC). The best way is via two hardware firewalls but a hardware-software solution also works.

The best firewalls are hardware firewalls. I wouldn't be just relying on just software firewalls if I were some of you. All software can be hacked or exploited. A hardware firewall is more secure. Netgear and Dlink are good options. The best solution of course is create a DMZ, (two firewalls linked together seperating the Internet from the PC). The best way is via two hardware firewalls but a hardware-software solution also works.

Bingo...

A quality router and a PC running smoothwall will def be more protection then most people need...

check out the about section at smoothwall.org
http://www.smoothwall.org/about/

Back