Waver Question

XIII

I want to join the USMC and I was told (by a friend thats in USMC and about to ship out late may) that Because I have a GED that I would have to get some kind of a waver or something..

Can anyone give me more info on this?? Without having to talk to a recruter I want that to be my last thing I do because im not 100% sure about it just yet never been big on life changes..

Also
Im 21 dont know if that is importent or not..
I finnished 9th grade and just dident go back after summer in high school..
I just got my GED..
I always think about joinning but im "Super Shy" I guess you can say and that always stops me from being 100% sure..
Did think about the army but my friend said I shouldent go into infantry(I dont know if that has anything to do with it I thought everyone was infantry unless you get put on a armored crew or your a pilot or something) that he has seen army infantry drop like flies..
So ill try the USMC and army last..

Thanks in advance
-XIII

Last edited:
Not sure how it is with the MC, but I do believe they've stepped up to where you HAVE to have a high school diploma in order to enlist with them. Again, not 100% on that but the AF is following this. A waiver is what your recruiter will do in order to bypass this rule and send you in anyways, for one reason or another. You won't need to do anything for the waiver except maybe sign it, I'm not sure on that as I have never needed one myself, and probably answer some questions to your recruiter.
Good luck with the MC hope it treats you well.

I spoke with an Army recruiter and as of a few months ago you did need a waiver. They are not hard to get with the Army as long as you dont beat your wife or do drugs. Recruiter was telling me that the 2 biggest reasons he can't enlist folks is for DUI/drug charges and Lautenberg (domestic violence) convictions. And these are kids coming out of High School.

Infantry is a job within the army and the Marines as well.

They run around with bayonets and engage the enemy eyeball to eyeball.

Sounds like you might benefit from the military experience if you can get in.

My advice would be a technical or vocational type MOS that might enable you to get employment later on.

I was a combat troop. Not much application later on and it gives you a bad atitude towards those who weren't.

Good luck

Back