US Marines largest tank battle

You don't often think about the Marines and armour, were they genuine Marine tanks or Army tank units attached to the Marines?

I guess that is no stranger than the Air Cavalry units in Vietnam.

The Marine divisions had their own tank battalions, but that changed a few years ago. The Marines also had or still have their own air force. They flew Harriers and later the F-18.

Most aircraft operating out of Henderson Field during the Battle of Guadalcanal were Marine. It was announce sometime in the last couple years that the Marines were losing their tanks.

The reason for removing heavy armor units from the marines is the make the US marines a mobile force when the armor units require more logistics to support and to be transported to the where they will be needed. Is this a good or a bad idea?

The reason for removing heavy armor units from the marines is the make the US marines a mobile force when the armor units require more logistics to support and to be transported to the where they will be needed. Is this a good or a bad idea?
Given that the likely enemy for the US Navy and Marines is China in Taiwan I doubt armour will play a major role in that conflict, I suspect it will be more like Ukraine and be a war of logistics.
The US will have to maintain air dominance to the east of Taiwan to ensure its logistics lines and find a way to stop the resupply of the PLA, if they can do that then it really doesn't matter how many men or tanks they bring ashore 24 hours later they are out of food, fuel and ammo.

Given that the likely enemy for the US Navy and Marines is China in Taiwan I doubt armour will play a major role in that conflict, I suspect it will be more like Ukraine and be a war of logistics.
The US will have to maintain air dominance to the east of Taiwan to ensure its logistics lines and find a way to stop the resupply of the PLA, if they can do that then it really doesn't matter how many men or tanks they bring ashore 24 hours later they are out of food, fuel and ammo.
The Islands in the Pacific aren't suited for mechanized warfare and if the US Marines end up in a situation in which they need tanks, the army can provide with tanks.

Back