True Military Bearing

Pacific Air

I was a part of the Ellsworth Air Force Base Honor Guard, which by the way, if you haven't seen them perform, I say they are the best Base Honor Guard in the States. We were on detail to perform a funeral service for a retired Colonel from the Army, and we are always honored to be able to give a soldier his last respects. I was Cross-Mark on the Pallbearing team, so I get to walk in the middle and follow everyone. The whole service was very professional up until we were about to fold the flag and bury the deceased. Once we went to the first fold, for the last respects, they played the song, "Prop Me Up Beside The Jukebox". We all had this look of, "What are they playing??" but we quickly got our bearing. And they played he hole song. Afterwards, when we were in the van, we all thought it was really funny, but it was nice they respected his wish. That was probably his last practical joke against everyone - and granted, with a little less training, we all would have broke down and laughed - but we never broke bearing.

Nothing says a person had a good life like going out with the last prank....

He who laughs last usually died first.

Back