Swedish police: Explosions were terrorism (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - Two blasts that shook a busy shopping street in central Stockholm were an act of terrorism, officials said Sunday, in what appeared to be a suicide bombing. It would be the first such attack in the Nordic country.

Read more...

It's been all over the news here, and they have confirmed that it was an act of terrorism.
The bomb seems to have detonated too early, and the terrorists real target was probably a crowded shopping area a bit further up the street.
If he had reached his destination he would probably have killed and wounded quite a few.
He carried 6 home-made pipebombs, but only one of them was detonated, and his backpack where full of nails and more explosives

This is the first confirmed terrorist attack in the Nordic countries, and it's probably not going to be the last I'm afraid.. :?

Redleg, yes and no! It has happened before.

1985: The American Airline North West Orient and the Jewish Synagogue in Copenhagen was bombed. One killed and 20 wounded. A third bomb found on the same day in Nyhavn, would possibly have been used in an attack against the Israeli airline El Al, which was thwarted. Four Palestinians were in 1990 convicted of bombings by the court in Sweden

1985: A Jewish-owned travel agency and a catering company bombed in Copenhagen. PLO accepts the blame. 12 people treated for superficial wounds.

1981: The 6th Armenian Army Mobilization Group explodes a bomb in the Turkish airline office in København.To injured.

1979: Armenian Secret Army accepts blame for a bomb that explodes in the Turkish airline office at the Imperial Theater in Copenhagen. An elderly woman injured.

Yes that is of course correct Seehund.
What I meant was that this is as far as I know the first terrorist attack in Nordic countries that is directed towards any of the Nordic countries directly.
The other ones you are referring to did take place in Denmark, but the targets where foreign businesses/entities.

Hello guys,

It has been in the air, this event. The recent years have been filled by incidents here in Sweden. I am bit surprised, it took longer than I expected before the first blast. He seems to have screwed it up, it could have been really nasty.

Right-wing and left-wing groups have been close to be terrorists before.

Take care

Ghostrider

Heard from the news that this was a terrorist own-goal (i.e by accident, with his own bomb). That always brings a smile to face. He died as he lived...as a stupid dumba*s. Sorry to hear about the wounded civvies though, best wishes to them for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Back