School Swimming Carnivals

Bory

My school had their swimming carnival today, but its interesting because the new teachers to our school said they had never seen so much comitment and seriousness in a Swimming Carnival before, even when they were at school. At my school, the swimming carnival and athletics carnival is a big deal for us year 12's. We hang up house banners and poster all over the school, and torn down or painted over the other houses, each house has a costume theme for the day, we even "attacked" other year 12 homerooms, by throwing streamers and shooting silly string all over the room one morning. It's Pretty intense. We have competions to out cheer each other, we get points for having the cleanest house, the fastest out of the pool, not to mention the normal points for the races and novelty events. Most of the year 12's try to make better costumes then the other houses and we right chants to taugnt the other houses.

My question to anyone is, Does/Did anyone else's school take their swimming or athletics carnivals as seriously as this, or are we a St Columba's, just very unique :p :p :p

Ah yeah, I should have explained this.

It is almost a tradition at Australian schools to hold annually swimming races, between the school houses. We call the entire event a Swimming Carnival. It's literally the same for an athletics carnival.

It sort of a miny olympics held in the school. The event champions go on to the zone finals, then the zone champoins go to the state finals and of course then the national finals. It basically part of our sporting culture.

yeah they are awesome fun
the entire school is divided into a number of groups conprising of students of all years and genders.
the swimming competition has a number of different races (freestyle, backstroke, relay etc) for each age and gender. the whole deal tends to take up an entire day and is a helluva lot of fun (even without the perve factor!!)

me and my friends all rocked up in wetsuits with flippers and goggle & snorkel and had a very silly 200m freestyle, switching lanes, blocking snorkels, general stupid stuff like that.
ah the memories

The School awards the winning house the Swimming Carnival Trophey.
It techniaclly acount to nothing but give the kids a bit of self pride and honour, as well as a bit of fun.

Back