SBS TV, “Age of Terror: The War on the West,” 14 July 2009, 8:30-9:30 p.m.

RonPrice

END TIMES

We live in an apocalyptic age. A 2002 poll found that 59% of Americans expect to experience the end times described in the Book of Revelation. There has been, writes Simon Pearson,1 "an extraordinary resurgence of Christian and Muslim apocalyptic beliefs" over the past 30 years. September 11 was, he says, "the great apocalyptic act of our times" and the rhetoric used by both sides in the war on terror has an "end-of-the-world feel". Last night I watched the final in a series of docos2 on this new age of terror. The war on the west, this doco argued, began in August 1998. I was finishing the 30th year of my career as a FT teacher/lecturer at the time. By the time I concluded my PT and casual work as a teacher in 2005 that war of terror was near the end of its first decade.

Some fear that weapons of mass destruction and global warming provide ample evidence that humankind needs little help from God to destroy the world: "eco-warriors are now the new Jeremiahs, prophesying environmental doom and catastrophe". If Dr Strangelove of sci-fi fame doesn't finish us all off, there's still H5N1 and supervolcanoes to worry about. From eschatological analysis of ancient scriptures to the fascinating and convoluted story of how David Koresh became the Waco, or as the media put it, wacko Messiah, Pearson has written a succinct yet wide-ranging survey of the history and symbolism of apocalyptic beliefs. It’s excellent preparation for the Day of Reckoning. That day may already have arrived. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Simon Pearson, The End of the World: From Revelation to Eco-Disaster, Carroll & Graf Publishers, 2006; and 2SBS TV, “Age of Terror: The War on the West,” 14 July 2009, 8:30-9:30 p.m.

It was a new ball-game after
all that cold-war business &
the fall of the Berlin Wall; &
after two world-wars; it was
heading somewhere, but where
was any man’s guess as I headed
out of the world of jobs creating
my own job of writing & reading
after half a century in a new world
Faith that was slowly taking this
world by storm-but so slowly that
no one would ever have guessed
that some heterodox and seemingly
negligible offshoot of the Shaykhi school
of the Ithan-‘Ashariyyih sect of Shi’ah
Islam, transformed into a world religion
would emerge chrysalis-like for a new age.

Ron Price
15 July 2009

Just a new war like the others were before it.
However untill it gets to be taken seriously it´ll be fought in the borderarea between black and white.
Don´t get me wrong, it will effect people on a personal level sooner or later, but we are not there yet.

MHO.
//KJ.

its funny because if the pakistani army somehow loses against the terrorists in their country, the terrorists get then would get their hands on nuclear weapons (not powerful ones compared to ours, but nuclear none the less) and most likely succeed in nuking the US or one of its major allies.

Thanks for the Responses Folks

Thanks for the Responses Folks....the issues are complex and would require a book. They can't be explained in a small box on the internet.-Ron

Thanks for the Responses Folks....the issues are complex and would require a book. They can't be explained in a small box on the internet.-Ron

If you don´t want to give it a shot why did you post this?

Now, get on with it, why in your opinion?

//KJ.

Belated Apologies KJ

Belated Apologies KJ for not taking up your challenge sooner, but I just saw your post today.-Ron
---------------------
Apocalypticism has many features: war, the concept of Return, and the End of Times, among other features. My poem suggests that the centre of this End of Times theme is: a heterodox and seemingly negligible offshoot of the Shaykhi school of the Ithan-‘Ashariyyih sect of Shi’ah Islam, transformed into a world religion would emerge chrysalis-like for a new age--namely, the Baha'i Faith.-Ron

Well, I dont like these theories... They just seem to big for my tastes.

Dont let fear take control of you, it's not the terrorists the problem, the problem is the "terrorized" persons...

A terrorist can maybe kill you... a big fat "maybe". But terror can change you for sure.

The problem isnt some nutjobs, but the billions of idiots who react to them.

And by the way, it's a big lie when you say that the Islamists are attacking us... Come on! They say the same in the other side of the battle. They say that the big evil west is attacking them...

And following my knowledge of the past... They are much much closer to reality. We are waging war on the rest of mankind, the Western mindset is a dangerous one...

The others are savages we have to educate, to bring them light, christianity or democracy or the liberal agenda...

I'm not scared of some brown people in some mountain, but the white man trying to build the world at his image... And I'm not talking about skin color here, as these ideas start to disappear (not yet).

We are waging war on everything resisting us... We are like cowboys hunting redskins... With their primitive weapons (arrows and bows) and their horrible ways to fight (scalps)... They are evil. They are savages, we dont understand them, they have no room in our world, let's kill them all...

We are living in a time where people are worthless cowards... That is the big war of our generation.

I met enough Muslims in my life to tell you that they are people like you and me... They have their extremists... But ours are much more terrible. When they get "lucky" and succeed, they destroy a few buildings and kill thousands of innocent people... But our extremists destroy whole countries... And they kill millions and destroy billions of futures... And the destruction is so so deep that we get pulled inside the blast even if we are thousands of miles away... They call this "the economy"...

BS system we are living in... Oh yeah, fear everything speaking Arabic, forget the monster that swallowed you whole...

Back