Redwood "Dog Soldier"

mdvaden

In an odd sort of way, I landed into the forum tonight via an old link to a question I had about wooden bullets in WW II on Guadalcanal. That's how I originally entered these forums.

Anyway, figured I'd post this topic as an item of interest.

The past few years, I've been hiking and bushwhacking the redwoods, including finding may undisclosed giants found by other folks. The guys that named these coast redwood giants have been using names from Tolkien or Lord of the Rings and other.

The naming style contrasts with how the giant sequoia were named.

So ... a couple of weeks ago, with some help, I found a giant redwood apparently unknown to anyone in our time. It's base diameter is right up there with the largest of the largest coast redwoods. Still need to measure.

Let me know what you think of the name ...

"Dog Soldier"

The idea behind the name, is not a tribute to American Indians. It's meant as a tribute or recognition of the commitment and fighting spirit of people who defend and take a stand.

Almost picked the name "Chesty Puller" or "Lewis B. Puller" as he was a favorite military man to read about - several times.

But Dog Soldier was selected to let the name represent a group of fighting men and women, rather than a single individual. I suppose either would be fine.

Cheers,

Mario in Oregon

Hi mdvaden. Here is pic of two redwoods in a small village in England. I visited the church where I served as a choir boy in WW11, last week and took this pic.

How old do you think they are; could they have been planted by the Canadian or US troops who were stationed nearby in WW11 or are they much older?

The church itself is Saxon with later additions. Were redwoods ever widespread in England?

Attachments

• St Peter's Somerset nov 08. 001.jpg
    St Peter's Somerset nov 08. 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi mdvaden. Here is pic of two redwoods in a small village in England. I visited the church where I served as a choir boy in WW11, last week and took this pic.

How old do you think they are; could they have been planted by the Canadian or US troops who were stationed nearby in WW11 or are they much older?

The church itself is Saxon with later additions. Were redwoods ever widespread in England?

Del Boy ...

Geez ... you were already living life well before I was in diapers - born 1959. Odd thing - it's crossed my mind twice this week the small span of time between WWII and when I was born in 1959.

About those redwoods, or Giant Sequoia - I'd guess about 80 to 100 years. I think the climate there is very similar to the Oregon to Vancouver, B.C. area. And here, there are trees near that size at a local county county courthouse, which were planted around 1900. I've seen younger ones here, around 50 years old, with trunks near 7' in diameter at chest level, although they may taper a bit.

The basal area of the trees in your photo, does not flare outward excessively, but the trunks don't taper much going upward, making me think they are quite a bit older than 50 or 60 years. I'd think WWI era at the youngest.

If I attach the image correctly, the coast redwood in the photo is NOT the Dog Soldier redwood, but another which has reminded me of a soldier standing at attention. I may attach 2 photos, one panoramic so you can see what I mean. Reminds me of a sentry or soldier standing at attention.

Attachments

• 025_450pixel.jpg
    025_450pixel.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Titan_296.jpg
    Titan_296.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
Here is a pic of the coast redwood we named Dog Soldier - was just able to photograph the base. It was foggy. Much of the width is hidden behind vegetation.

It's trunk is about the same width as the redwood in the image above.

Look closely at the line marked as diameter breast high. I am not standing at ground level. I'm standing up on the trunk. Grade level is well below where I'm standing - like back where the camera and tripod were. This tree is really a lot bigger than it looks here.

Attachments

• Redwood600.jpg
    Redwood600.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back