Parachute Regiment Aptitude Course (PRAC) Requirements (Thank AirborneWings)

Delta

Gott Mit Uns
First you need to pass the Parachute Regiment Aptitude Course (PRAC)
  • Gym tests
    1. 15 sit-ups on a bench angled at 45 degrees.
    2. 10 dips on the parallel bar.
    3. 10 underarm heaves to the bar.
  • 5 Mile Run
    1. 3 miles squadded
    2. 1 & half miles in best time
  • Steeplechase Course
    2 circuits in no more than 12 minutes
Those who pass initial selection will move on to mainstream training.

The Parachute Regiment fitness test includes:

• Conducting a Mid-Thigh Pull at 76kg;
  • Being able to throw a medicine ball to a distance of 3.1m;
  • Running 2km in 8 minutes 15 seconds or less.

Parachute Regiment training consists of two different phases. Phase 1 is 30 weeks in total.

This initial Parachute Regiment training course is called the PARA Combat Infantry Course, and it is extremely tough to get through. You will need to be extremely fit, determined, courageous and resilient.

The PARA Combat Infantry Course is where you will learn all about Basic Army Training, in addition to carrying out high-level Infantry training. During this stage of Parachute Regiment training, you will have to go through ‘P’ Company (P Coy) which is renowned for being one of the toughest training courses in the military.

During Test Week, candidates will be expected to run, march and carry dead weights over 1 - 20 miles on undulating terrain. Test Week comprises 8 separate events over a four and a half day period. Seven events are scored, one (the Trainasium) is a straight pass or fail. Each event is designed to assess a candidate's physical fitness, mental robustness and determination.

A candidate who fails to display the appropriate level of self discipline and motivation throughout Test Week will fail the course.

The Tests:

10 Mile March The 10-mile march is conducted as a squad, over undulating terrain with each candidate carrying a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water) and a weapon. The march must be completed in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Trainasium The Trainasium is an aerial confidence course which is unique to P Coy. In order to assess his suitability for military parachuting, the Trainasium tests a candidate's ability to overcome fear and carry out simple activities and instructions at a height above ground level. The event is a straight pass or fail.

Log Race A team event with 8 individuals carrying a 60kg log over a distance of 1.9 miles' undulating terrain.

Steeplechase An individual test with candidates running against the clock over a 1.8 mile cross country course. The course features a number of 'water obstacles' and, having completed the cross country element, candidates must negotiate an assault course to complete the test. The march must be completed in 19 minutes or under to score 10 points.

2 Mile March The 2 mile march is conducted over undulating terrain with each individual carrying a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water) and a weapon. A helmet and combat jacket is also worn. The march must be completed in 18 minutes or under.

Endurance March A squadded march conducted over 20 miles of severe terrain. Each individual carries a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water and food) and a weapon. The march must be completed in under 4 and a half hours.

Stretcher Race Teams of 16 men carry a 175 lbs stretcher over a distance of 5 miles. No more than 4 men carry the stretcher at any given time. Students wear webbing and carry a weapon.

Milling The final event of Test Week is 60 seconds of 'controlled physical aggression' against an opponent of similar height and weight.

During P Company, you will learn skills in survival, map reading, navigation, how to fire military weapons and also combat techniques.

Once you successfully pass the 30-week initial Parachute Regiment Training Course, you will then move onto a 3-week jumps course, where you will become a fully trained Paratrooper and ready to wear the coveted Paratrooper burgundy beret and Wings with pride!

(I did a background check as well, This is also A British Version.)

The Trainasium scared the hell out of me! I did TA P company as a 17 year old sprog, I failed it, but at least I can say I had a go at it. I was absolutely shattered after 2 full weekends.

The Trainasium scared the hell out of me! I did TA P company as a 17 year old sprog, I failed it, but at least I can say I had a go at it. I was absolutely shattered after 2 full weekends.
I have been looking at it and I think I could give it a reasonable go with the exception of the trainaisum, as I have grown older I have developed a fear of heights that I didn't have as a kid.

Times would be close but certainly at the bottom end of getting through, a few years ago I decided fat and lazy wasn't an option and decided to work on my fitness with the aim of being able to meet the old basic requirements, it took two years and forty kilos but I have repeated the course in a better time than I did originally.
Not sure about the medicine ball but I am sure I could do 3m if someone stuck an effigy of the mother in law 2.5m away.
;)

• Gym tests
  • 5 Mile Run
    1. 3 miles squadded
  • Steeplechase Course

Parachute Regiment training consists of two different phases. Phase 1 is 30 weeks in total.

This initial Parachute Regiment training course is called the PARA Combat Infantry Course, and it is extremely tough to get through. You will need to be extremely fit, determined, courageous and resilient.

The PARA Combat Infantry Course is where you will learn all about Basic Army Training, in addition to carrying out high-level Infantry training. During this stage of Parachute Regiment training, you will have to go through ‘P’ Company (P Coy) which is renowned for being one of the toughest training courses in the military.

During Test Week, candidates will be expected to run, march and carry dead weights over 1 - 20 miles on undulating terrain. Test Week comprises 8 separate events over a four and a half day period. Seven events are scored, one (the Trainasium) is a straight pass or fail. Each event is designed to assess a candidate's physical fitness, mental robustness and determination.

A candidate who fails to display the appropriate level of self discipline and motivation throughout Test Week will fail the course.

The Tests:

10 Mile March The 10-mile march is conducted as a squad, over undulating terrain with each candidate carrying a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water) and a weapon. The march must be completed in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Trainasium The Trainasium is an aerial confidence course which is unique to P Coy. In order to assess his suitability for military parachuting, the Trainasium tests a candidate's ability to overcome fear and carry out simple activities and instructions at a height above ground level. The event is a straight pass or fail.

Log Race A team event with 8 individuals carrying a 60kg log over a distance of 1.9 miles' undulating terrain.

Steeplechase An individual test with candidates running against the clock over a 1.8 mile cross country course. The course features a number of 'water obstacles' and, having completed the cross country element, candidates must negotiate an assault course to complete the test. The march must be completed in 19 minutes or under to score 10 points.

2 Mile March The 2 mile march is conducted over undulating terrain with each individual carrying a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water) and a weapon. A helmet and combat jacket is also worn. The march must be completed in 18 minutes or under.

Endurance March A squadded march conducted over 20 miles of severe terrain. Each individual carries a bergen (backpack) weighing 35 lbs (plus water and food) and a weapon. The march must be completed in under 4 and a half hours.

Stretcher Race Teams of 16 men carry a 175 lbs stretcher over a distance of 5 miles. No more than 4 men carry the stretcher at any given time. Students wear webbing and carry a weapon.

Milling The final event of Test Week is 60 seconds of 'controlled physical aggression' against an opponent of similar height and weight.

During P Company, you will learn skills in survival, map reading, navigation, how to fire military weapons and also combat techniques.

Once you successfully pass the 30-week initial Parachute Regiment Training Course, you will then move onto a 3-week jumps course, where you will become a fully trained Paratrooper and ready to wear the coveted Paratrooper burgundy beret and Wings with pride!

That’s why we’re the best !
  • Gym tests
  • 5 Mile Run
    1. 3 miles squadded
  • Steeplechase Course

The Tests:

It’s tough for a reason !

Back