Oslo bomb kills 7, gunman fires on youth camp (Reuters)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
Reuters - A bomb ripped through Oslo's central government district on Friday killing seven people, police said, and hours later a gunman opened fire at a youth camp on a nearby island.

More...

Signs point to a domestic murderous rampage style terrorist attack.

News organizations now report 91 dead.

The mass media of the Kingdom of Denmark, especially on-line newspapers, have been very useful in obtaining clarifying information early on, by competently reporting updated informative detailed facts, not just mere analyst-commentator style speculations.

Among the mass-media with early analyst-commentators, I must applaud the insight and sensitivity of BBC International I am getting here, in Norway, and report my slight disappointment in CNN.

Euronews had seemed to me slightly oddly detached in the beginning, but maybe they were waiting to learn more facts, and they are not prone to analysis anyway.

The society is obviously shocked, since only quite recently I had heard professional people say to me stuff along the lines of "violent acts do not habitually happen in Norwegian society", when I had asked an unrelated human security pertinent question in regards to my job.

I applaud the Minister of Justice and the Police, Mr. Knut Storberget, for his decisiveness in using the right words in public during his mass-media appearances, giving thus a slightly more professional appearance than Mr. Jens Stoltenberg, the Prime Minister.

I continue to have extraordinary positive feelings for King Harald V as one of the most authentically sincere patriotic and generally maturely sensitive human being holding that type of position whom I have ever heard speak in public in the Kingdom of Norway.

I can report that in general, the Norwegian Police is a highly trained and professional modern institution. I had the feeling I could trust them, if G-d forbid ever needed, from the moment I stepped here in the Kingdom of Norway, although I must say I personally had been somewhat surprised by their lack of visible presence in the streets. Among all public sector employees, I had also assesed them as being among the most focused on the job and also perhaps the most industrious and conscientious.

I hope my comment does not sound cold-hearted or insensitive. (One never knows when one communicates anything on line). Obviously, I have compassion for all the human beings involved in that tragedy. I was just trying to report some personal impressions about the early reporting of the events, and some of the key figures I had myself heard speaking to the public or acting on the job in relationship to this "sentinel event" which happened in the Kingdom of Norway. (Sorry for using a medical risk management administrative expression here, just take it as a professional fault.)

Last edited:
Roamsk have a rather clear minded wiev of the situation, and I share most of his points here.

Maybe I should explain this a little closer, the island upon wich this tragic event took place is a camp site used by the Labour Party youth organization for their annual summer camp.
The youth gathered there are "delegates" from all over the country, and while Norway only have a population of about 4 900 000 citizens, almost everyone in the country know someone who has been directly affected by this tragic massacre.

The actual body-count (91 people so far) may appear small compared to the 911 attack on the Twin-Towers in New York, but for a little country like Norway, with such a small population, this is a devastating blow.

So far 84 kids in the age of 13-22 years of age are reported dead on the island, and I'm convinced that most of the Norwegian population have the same numb feeling of deep sorrow as I feel personally.

In the midst of this, I must thank you all for your compassion and sympathies.

I wish to offer 4 paintings to gaze upon to all people who may feel stressed or affected by the recent tragedy from the capital of the Kingdom of Norway:

images

images

mama_si_copilul_de_nicolae_tonitza.jpg

images

From NRK (Norwegian TV): the arrested 32 years old Norwegian man, described himself, as reported, in a logically organized manner as a "right-wing radical" who is against both "Islamism" and "multiculturalism", did not give earlier warnings such as threatening letters or inflammatory Internet sites, seems to have planned his actions over some time in a calculated manner, and shall be charged under a Norwegian law currently on the books which contains the word "terrorism".

Back