Orson Scott Card. . .

Marinerhodes

Has anyone read his Ender series books? If so what was your take? Also has anyone read the paralell "shadow" series? If so what is your take on them?

The reason I ask this is "Ender's Game" is on the USMC Commandant's Reading List. There are a whole list of books that are "suggested" reading at certain ranks. Many of them are good some of them are fairly dry.

Last edited:
If you read his sequel books, the Ender's Shadow series, he creates an interesting world war scenario, with China, India, The Muslim Empire (yes united under a Caliph) and the FPE (Free People's Alliance, a sort of made up World Uniting Country) vieing for control, there is a lot of intrigue, plotting and of course fighting. I recommend this book to anyone who hasent read it.

Yeah WNx, I have read a few of them. I re-read a book called Armor by John Steakley. Very good book I think. I have read it five times or so and I keep finding new depths to it with each re-reading.

i've read ender's game...
the ending wasn't substantial enough for me, but a great, great book, and a defnite must read!!

I read all the books up to Shadow Puppets. They were fairly entertaining, though by far my favorite was Shadow of the Hegemon. I never read the ones about Ender's life after the first book.

WNx, what you descirbed was the spin-off of Ender's Game, the Ender's Shadow series, the Ender's Game series itself drops off substantially after Ender's Game, it became a very sappy story about the dangers of further contact with aliens and our effect on alien civilizations (should we be the ones who discovered them). I love the Ender's Game book, but not the rest of the books in that particular series, the Ender's Shadow series is however AWESOME! I am re-reading that series for the..... sixth time, I have already read those books one this year but they are so good I am reading them again. Shadow of the Giant, very good ending to the series, assuming it is an ending, I have heard rumors another Shadow book is planned. If I was a woman I probably would have cried when I read Shadow of the Giant. Very, very good reads all around.

Orson Scott Card is not Tom Clancy, there are no dry parts in his books where he goes into great detail to explain the inner workings of every little piece of equipment.

According to my political science teacher, the United States today is trying to do the same thing as Peter Wiggin in the Ender's Shadow series.

Back