Opinion on gaming?

JWIlls94

Banned
Back when I was in High School one of my friends tried to get one of the teachers at my school into gaming but the teacher said he doesn't want to be associated with kids who kill. This was around the time Doom came out. Is that how people view gaming? If so the video game industry needs a massive PR campaign. Do you have any negative feelings on this form of entertainment?

The more lifelike these games get, the more concerned I´m on how they can affect young people.
Some of my recruits have expressed, that looking through the night vision scope was just like a video game, and that really pissed me off.

Last edited:
i dont feel videogaming has any effect on kids, its the disapline from the parents which is the problem

I agree, while I have no doubt there is a link between playing these games and some of the problems we face today I believe the root of the problem is a poor up bringing and lack of parental guidance/responsibility that is the ultimate cause.

I agree, while I have no doubt there is a link between playing these games and some of the problems we face today I believe the root of the problem is a poor up bringing and lack of parental guidance/responsibility that is the ultimate cause.

I agree discipline starts at home, but bunny hugging leftie liberals get all bitter and twisted when parents chastise their kids for mugging a senior citizen and scream "Children should be able to express themselves," or some other bullsh!te.

Yes, because we all know that children know what's best for themselves! This shouldn't even be a conversation and the fact that it is tells more about where we are as a society than anything else.

It is the parents job to make decisions regarding what their children do and are involved in. Particularly at first. If the child can show maturity and an understanding in situations where judgement comes into play, then and only then can some type of autonomy be given to them about making their own decisions. If they don't, they must be corrected.

Basically, if you're a parent, do your freaking job and tell your child "no" sometimes...you might actually be helping your child in the long run...

A link between video games (and not enough exercise), hippocampus, and PTSD

I read on the forum that some of the recruits mention how the night goggles remind them of the video games and became interested in the link between memories and PTSD. I began a search on the effects of adrenaline on the body.

Long term adrenaline effects from playing the games or any other long term experiences we have which cause the body to produce adrenaline YET NOT ACTUALLY BE IN DANGER, may damage the hippocampus. (part of the brain responsible for memory storage). The damage is caused when the body doesn't work off the physical effects of adrenaline.
t31020.gif

What increases adrenaline?
26.gif

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-increases-adrenaline.htm

"Many computer games have been shown to simulate the types of real world situations that cause it to be released into the human body, particularly first person shooters, sports games and popular multiplayer role games"

What is ADRENALINE?
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-adrenaline.htm

"Though adrenaline can play a key role in the body's survival, it can also cause detrimental effects over time...... it may cause the hippocampus to shrink."
"In the past, people handled this naturally through fighting or other physical exertion, but in the modern world, high-stress situations often arise that involve little physical activity."
m0308.gif

What is the HIPPOCAMPUS? *the part of the brain responsible for encoding long term memory.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-hippocampus.htm

In PTSD brain studies...
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/ptsd-brain-studies-look-at-hippocampus-33419/

“Hippocampal shrinkage,” of all the terrible-sounding human ailments, it common among PTSD patients."

"A damaged hippocampus causes weird things to happen, it's like a damaged hard drive."

"One much-cited 2002 study of twins showed that some people who wind up with PTSD have smaller hippocampi to start with."

"A soldier in combat needs quick memory feedback to know when he’s in trouble, and some recent work suggests that a hobbled hippocampus can blur danger response, leading the brain to notice more cues than necessary and causing the soldier, in effect, to freak out"

Last edited:
Yes, because we all know that children know what's best for themselves! This shouldn't even be a conversation and the fact that it is tells more about where we are as a society than anything else.

It is the parents job to make decisions regarding what their children do and are involved in. Particularly at first. If the child can show maturity and an understanding in situations where judgement comes into play, then and only then can some type of autonomy be given to them about making their own decisions. If they don't, they must be corrected.

Basically, if you're a parent, do your freaking job and tell your child "no" sometimes...you might actually be helping your child in the long run...

When I was a boy growing up in the 50's a copper would give us a clip around the ear if we misbehaved and if I told dad I'd get another one. Today parents cannot smack their kids backsides for misbehaving, if they do they get prosecuted. Society has gone mad. I brought my kids up how I was, they have both done me and the missus proud.

Back