New Orleans, extreme weather - the beginning of the end?

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Read the morning paper online and noticed New Orleans is being evacuated due to the hurricane Katrina. Well I watched this show on Discovery Channel for a month ago about Extreme Engineering and Holland. 15 minutes of that program was dedicated to New Orleans and what might happen if a flooding or hurricane took place.... Ironic?

Now the posibillity is present. I find it scary, do we only see the beginning of extreme weather due to global warming and pollution? There is currently large marshlands in Russia melting where it normally is perma frost releasing such amounts of metan gas, that the current man made releases fades.... :shock:

What is your opinions on this topic, folks?

My personal opinion is that there is no doubt the increased pace of global warming is having a major effect on world weather patterns and leading to some pretty extreme weather patterns in unusual locations my only real question is how much impact man is having on this as we are also fairly well aware that global warming is a natural phenomonon.
Basicaly is this just a normal process thats occured many times throughout the worlds evolution or is man destroyed the environment to the point that we are going to destroy the world as we know it or is it a mix of both.

Il just be curious when its all over and done with if the checks from foreighners will come in supporting New Orleans. Probally not, however in the mean time all you can do is hope and pray for those idiots that stayed.

Rabs said:
however in the mean time all you can do is hope and pray for those idiots that stayed.

They stay for a reason, don't they? Either they cannot evacuate the city as they do not have any other place to go, or they won't leave their homes as they are afraid of looting in the aftermath?

i heard on the news that New Orleans is 2m below sea level and it will act like the little islands did during the tsunami, they will hold in all the water.
adn yes, you do have to feel sorry for the homeless people who have no real way of escaping it, althought i would hope they set up a free public transport system to get people out, there is talk that the damage will be that bad it will be uninhabitable for weeks, even months, though lets not get ahead of ourselves, it hasn't happened yet....

Yes, we're all doomed. Natural disasters never hurt anyone throughout human history and starting this year it's killing by the millions. To mars, and safety!

Whispering Death said:
Yes, we're all doomed. Natural disasters never hurt anyone throughout human history and starting this year it's killing by the millions. To mars, and safety!

Hahahaha, isn't it funny how the sky is always falling for some folks?

Well, we know that glaciers moved over rain forests during the ice age. We find fish fossiles in the Rocky Mountains. It seems that the earth is in a constant state of flux but the time to change is measured in millions of years.

I read a report last night that stated that tropical storms would be more common on the northern hemisphere in the next decades. I think we see the first sights of it already - heavy floodings in central europe due to massive rain and wind for a few weeks ago and I believe, myself being quite pessimistic at this point, it will continue at larger scales.

Not that the weather is annoying me - we all have a shelter in our backyard don' we? Though simple life essential issues such as agriculture and food supply must be sorted. Meat is alright but the animals needs food and water just as much as we do. A good steak is nice but :cen: fresh baked Donuts and bread with brown cheese and butter is something I would kill for if we come that far as the crops fails in the USA and Europe.

Hum well I believe God is busy with a less ambitios project somewhere in outer space.

Back