Naval Navigation

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
A JUNIOR NAVY OFFICER assigned as officer of the deck, I had the responsibility of bringing our 510-foot ship into San Francisco Bay. But first, we had to detour from our original course to test the anti-mine system. After the test, senior officers surrounded me on the bridge as we began to steam toward the anchorage. As the grand expanse of the Golden Gate loomed ahead, I whispered nervously in the navigator's ear, "What's our course through the Golden Gate Bridge?"

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Aim for the middle."

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Jay Patterson

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Sometimes, you just gotta let the helmsman steer the ship and prove to the world that he's not an idiot. Nine times out of ten, he will show you that he is very competent. Just hope that you are not the OOD on that tenth time.

Dean.

I have a story about a similar experience from 20 years ago.

At the time I was on a Merchant bulk carrier of 20,000 tons "MV Zincmaster" and one of our frequent discharge ports was Port Pirie about 45 miles from my home.

On this particular night we had a newly promoted Skipper who was known for his nervousness when anywhere within sight of land, and we were about to enter Port Pirie where the entrance channel was long, and narrow and winding enough to "break a snakes back" made worse at night by a great number of navigation lights which are easily confused with the town lights behind.

Bob Xxxxx a Port Pirie "native" was on the wheel, and as is required by all vessels entering this port we took a pilot aboard at the entrance. The Skipper was on the bridge and greeted the pilot with customary courtesy and after testing the engines ahead and astern the pilot ordered revs for Half Speed Ahead, then casually started talking to the Skipper. (The higher revs are necessary in parts of the channel to offset cross currents and tide rips in the narrow channel)

By this time the skipper was on his fourth cigarette in about 20 minutes and was anxiously waiting for the pilot to order a course, when the Pilot casually said to Bob, "Helmsman,... Just take her straight up the middle".

The skipper nearly freaked, and was just about an ambulance case by the time that Bob bought her faultlessly alongside nearly two hours later. Little did he know that Bob and "Herman the German" our pilot and also Harbour Master were best of mates and Bob used to skipper his large cabin cruiser whenever Herman was taking guests fishing.

Since that time the shipping channel has been dredged and straightened considerably, but it is still a port where it is wise to take a pilot.

Last edited:
Back